Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

backdoor lock

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Lehnhardt

Number of posts : 1
Home City : Nelson, New Zealand
Registration date : 2023-10-10

backdoor lock Empty
PostSubject: backdoor lock   backdoor lock Icon_minitimeTue Oct 10, 2023 6:11 am

hy everyone. just wondering if anyone can help me with a problem. i can shut the backdoor of my hiace, but the lock does not seem to be locking properly. the open door sign keeps lighting up and that has seemed to drain the battery before. what sort of repairer would be the best to fix the lock, normal garage or panelbeater or sth? thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 279
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

backdoor lock Empty
PostSubject: Re: backdoor lock   backdoor lock Icon_minitimeTue Oct 10, 2023 8:11 am

Hi - I had something similar. As well as the door open warning light, all the internal lights were on too (main roof light, the side-door footwell light and tailgate light). There is a 'switch' build into the rear latch on the tailgate that activates these and the warning light circuit.

For me, the switch was working fine - you can test this with the tailgate open by using a large screwdriver to flick closed the catch lever - as if the latch has hit the striking plate (and then release it as normal, with the rear tailgate handle). If that turns the lights off, then there's some kind of mis-alignment between the latch and the striking plate - or wear. This is what was happening for me - and the latch was not catching fully and just holding on the secondary burst-lock. Annoyingly, unlike a lot of cars, the striking plate can't be adjusted but loosening the bolts and sliding it about. However, for me, I did loosen then and try to shift it rearwards a little, before re-tightening. This works enough so that a good slam will close it.

However, if the switch isn't working (light stay on even when you use the screwdriver) or there's too much wear to take up - you may need to replace the latch. There are some cheap ones on Aliexpress and ebay - but I'm not sure what the quality is like. Check the code on epc-date.com if you need to get a compatible one.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

backdoor lock Empty
PostSubject: Re: backdoor lock   backdoor lock Icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2023 7:55 am

That latch only came on the Super Custom and the Town Ace so it’s not easy to find a good used one. Of all Toyotas, that door and latch design is peculiar to those 2 models. I think. Pretty certain but open to finding out there are more. You can bypass it by removing the rear door panel and separating the wire connector to that latch. Can’t remember whether ground is closed or open circuit.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

backdoor lock Empty
PostSubject: Re: backdoor lock   backdoor lock Icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2023 8:01 am

Wowser. Only $20 delivered to NZ from Ali Express. Hard to beat that!! Search “Hiace rear door latch” and visually match to yours.

g00se likes this post

Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 279
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

backdoor lock Empty
PostSubject: Re: backdoor lock   backdoor lock Icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2023 9:11 am

Hi.   When it arrives, can you let us know what the quality and fit is like? I saw some of the Aliexpress ones for sale (and on eBay) but they looked less substantial than the originals so i haven't got one yet.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
shaggy0928
Not so new now
Not so new now
shaggy0928

Number of posts : 44
Home City : Denver, USA
Model and year : 1994 Super Custom Limited
Registration date : 2020-10-09

backdoor lock Empty
PostSubject: Re: backdoor lock   backdoor lock Icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2023 4:52 pm

I got one off US eBay and it was pretty nice quality. Maybe 80% as good as OEM.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332450494535?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=m-KbpwptReW&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=4Vf7hWbaRTm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

g00se likes this post

Back to top Go down
Stephen

Number of posts : 9
Home City : Portland, Or, USA
Registration date : 2020-10-30

backdoor lock Empty
PostSubject: Re: backdoor lock   backdoor lock Icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2023 5:10 pm

My hatch was refusing to shut all the way. I cleaned the latch out with brake cleaner spray, let it dry, then lined with Tri-Flo spray lube. It’s been working great since.

Andonic and g00se like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

backdoor lock Empty
PostSubject: Re: backdoor lock   backdoor lock Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

backdoor lock
Page 1 of 1