Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom

Go down 
+3
BreadBin
alfazar
spannera
7 posters
AuthorMessage
spannera

Number of posts : 11
Home City : Toowoomba Australia
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom Empty
PostSubject: Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom   Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 10:28 am

Hi,

I have a 95 Super Custom Auto 3.0l, and everytime we start it, it makes a thud towards the rear middle of the engine bay. Has anyone else had this experience. it's done it since we owned it 1 month ago.

Any help appreciated.

John
Back to top Go down
alfazar
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 99
Home City : N.Ireland
Model and year : 3.0TD 4WD camper 1995
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom   Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 10:41 pm

Sounds like a worn engine mounting maybe?? It maybe doesn't thud on normal driving but a diesel engine can shake a bit as it catches on startup. My 3.0DT doesn't suffer, but had an old diesel Ford Fiesta once that did this.
Al
Back to top Go down
BreadBin

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom   Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 10:08 am

My 2.4 has done this since I adjusted the fuel pump timing, maybe yours has been 'played with'
Back to top Go down
browneye

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom   Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 6:55 am

I have a 95 super custom and mine does this aswell...not every time, only about once in every 20 or 30 starts, and hasnt done it for ages actually....

Tends to do it when the starter takes that lil bit longer to start the engine...dunno what it is, but it sure looks like the engine moves a fair bit when it happens, which may indicate engine mount somewhere? I plan to ask my mech next time I take it in, or ill get under it and take a look, my front ones looked ok last time i was under her tho...hmm

I am keen to find out what this is tho, as its pretty loud.
Back to top Go down
pushrod
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 140
Home City : S Bucks
Model and year : 1990 2.4 TD 2wd Ltd
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom   Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 10:42 am

Could it be something as simple as a duff glo-plug? One cylinder firing 2 or 3 revs late - on twice the fuel?
Back to top Go down
Clockman
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom   Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 4:03 pm

This is caused by the rear gearbox mount failing. The rear end of the box hangs on a ring shaped mount with the mounting bolt through a rubber doughnut held by the metal ring. This rubber fails allowing the mount bolt to contact the metal ring,but also retains it securely. Not at all unsafe ,but as the engine starts up the mount bolt kicks against the metal ring causing what seems to be an alarming noise.A common fault on this model and easily fixed. On an MOT test this is an advisory fault not a fail.
Back to top Go down
spannera

Number of posts : 11
Home City : Toowoomba Australia
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom   Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 3:32 am

Thanks heaps for your responses. Ill let you know how i go. By the way, with the glow plug response, I notice that when I turn the car to get ready to start, the glow plug light on the dash stays on for less than one second. My experience with other diesels is a bigger warming time. Is this a sign of a bad glow plug?
Back to top Go down
pushrod
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 140
Home City : S Bucks
Model and year : 1990 2.4 TD 2wd Ltd
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom   Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 2:31 pm

I think they have fast warm-up gloplugs - my light stays on for a couple of seconds, though......
Back to top Go down
jimsmim
Been here a while
Been here a while
jimsmim

Number of posts : 188
Home City : paisley
Model and year : VW TRANSPORTER T5 LWB poptop camper
Registration date : 2007-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom   Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 4:15 pm

the length of time the light is on has nothing to do with the actual glow plugs being on or off..... if you listen .... you'l hear the glow plugs switch off.... a distinct click usually about 2 -3 mins after engine was initially started.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BreadBin

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom   Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 8:51 pm

Aha so that's what the click is!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom   Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Startup Thud on 3.0l Turbo Diesel Super Custom
Page 1 of 1