Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What coolant to use?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 277
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

What coolant to use? Empty
PostSubject: What coolant to use?   What coolant to use? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 08, 2023 10:49 am

Hi,

The manual says Toyota Long Life - which I assume is the red stuff (2001 RZH101 with the 2.4l petrol engine).

However, in googling, I see there is a Toyota Super Long Life pink version too. I saw a post that says the pink is OAT (organic) and the red is IAT (inorganic).

I also saw something about OAT not being appropriate for radiators with steel and copper parts - and is designed for aluminium rads. Whereas IAT is better for the older style radiators. I'm assuming my rad is original and has some copper in it.

I'm not sure exactly what's in the van from import (it looks a reddish-orange) so I guess I'll change the lot at some point. Unless I can find a sticker somewhere with the details.

So I'll go with the older red, but any thoughts on if I should go with something else?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
NickZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
NickZ

Number of posts : 152
Model and year : 1993 Cruising Cabin, 4wd 3L engine.
Registration date : 2023-01-13

PostSubject: Re: What coolant to use?   What coolant to use? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 08, 2023 10:29 pm

I just checked my bill from when the garage changed it and it says red and he seems to know what he's doing.

blgravely likes this post

Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 196
Home City : Bonney Lake, WA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited 4WD
1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E
Registration date : 2021-05-20

PostSubject: Re: What coolant to use?   What coolant to use? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 08, 2023 11:22 pm

Hey goose.

Nick is right. Toyota didn’t go to OAT until 2004. That doesn’t mean the coolant in your van is wrong, aftermarket coolants come in all colors. Also the red is cheaper anyways since it’s not premix.

Have an awesome weekend everyone
-Bryan
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 277
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

PostSubject: Re: What coolant to use?   What coolant to use? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 09, 2023 9:13 am

Just found a sticker on the van that says it was filled with the Toyota pink OAT coolant in June last year - but also a worksheet in the original docs that says only 2.5 litres of it was added then - my van should take 10 litres. It might explain why the expansion tank looks pinky red and taking the radiator cap off looks more red-orange.  I'll get it drained and filled at some point soon with Toyota red to be sure.

blgravely likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What coolant to use?   What coolant to use? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What coolant to use?
Page 1 of 1