Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Overheat and low coolant

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
tokyojoe
Not so new now
Not so new now
tokyojoe

Number of posts : 46
Home City : Liverpool
Model and year : 1991 Hiace Cruising Cabin 2.8D Auto
Registration date : 2017-02-12

Overheat and low coolant Empty
PostSubject: Overheat and low coolant   Overheat and low coolant Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2018 8:27 am

I am not at all handy with vehicles and this is the first problem I have had with my 1991 Cruising Cabin.....overheated on motorway last week, temp gauge shot up almost to Red. Pulled over immediately.....hardly any fluid in the coolant tank....filled it up with water...it took a lot to fill it and managed to drive 75 miles home with a steady gauge, but looks like it has lost a lot of fluid again and the engine was really hot - is there anything I can easily check before sending it to the garage - was told it sounds like one of three things:

leaking hoses
leaking rad
cracked water pump

I am in the North West of England...any help/advice welcome
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Overheat and low coolant   Overheat and low coolant Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2018 10:56 am

Check (or just replace) the viscous fan coupling boss.
That's the primary point of weakness - if that stops working you're going to overheat because of the radiators location tucked inside the van.
Back to top Go down
tokyojoe
Not so new now
Not so new now
tokyojoe

Number of posts : 46
Home City : Liverpool
Model and year : 1991 Hiace Cruising Cabin 2.8D Auto
Registration date : 2017-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Overheat and low coolant   Overheat and low coolant Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2018 12:23 pm

GPW wrote:
Check (or just replace) the viscous fan coupling boss.
That's the primary point of weakness - if that stops working you're going to overheat because of the radiators location tucked inside the van.

Thanks GPW, I am taking it to the garage tomorrow so will ask him to look at it.
There is a lot of orange sludge in the coolant reservoir and signs that it has got onto the engine and main hose from the radiator Crying or Very sad
I am hoping it just needs a flush and replace of coolant and perhaps a leaking hose or two
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Overheat and low coolant   Overheat and low coolant Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Overheat and low coolant
Page 1 of 1