Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Gonewild
Not so new now
Not so new now
Gonewild

Number of posts : 22
Home City : Queensland, Australia
Model and year : 1992 Custom 4WD
Registration date : 2023-02-16

Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) Empty
PostSubject: Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button)   Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 11, 2023 12:00 am

Hi all,

My camper was fitted, probably in Japan, with a manual awning. The central locking mechanism is stuck, it won't release to allow opening. I push the button but it meets no resistance, as if the 'lock' inside has come away from the pin.

Below are some photos of the set-up. Manufacturer stamp says YKK, who by my googling seems to be a Japanese window and blind maker, who 30 years ago maybe made these, but no longer. Can't find any manuals / guides or YT clips online for this problem.

Any tips welcome. I have not tried to open up the mechanism yet, though that day is coming - from my experience with having to wind window blinds back up it's a nightmare. Then again I don't think there is a spring in my awning... who knows.

Cheers.
Gonewild

Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) 20230410
Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) 20230411
Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) 20230412
Back to top Go down
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BDbe23d5RnJ5m5jGA
Gonewild
Not so new now
Not so new now
Gonewild

PostSubject: Re: Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button)   Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 11, 2023 12:03 am

... A few photos of the awning.

Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) 20230415
Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) 20230414
Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) 20230413
Back to top Go down
ThoranX

Number of posts : 10
Home City : Seattle, WA
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Super Custom
Complectation: LH123V-ERPDS
Production Period: 08.1989 - 08.1998
Body: V1
Grade: DX
Options: 4FC HRF 4D SG 06S 1000K DSL 2WD
Registration date : 2023-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button)   Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2024 1:31 am

We have the same awning and I believe the same issue. Did you figure out how to get it to open or get a replacement?
Back to top Go down
Gonewild
Not so new now
Not so new now
Gonewild

PostSubject: Re: Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button)   Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2024 3:19 am

Hi ThoranX, glad you found the post. I did solve the problem, funny enough I needed a friend who was willing to ‘break’ it to get it unstuck. Turned out just to be lack of use, the mechanism was filled with road dirt and grime and was just stuck good. He sprayed WD40 into the lock, waited a while, and then let rip with some force. We needed three people - one to jiggle the awning pushing up and pulling down as if to release it, one to be pressing the ‘unlock’ button, while he cranked the handle open and closed, until it released. I was too afraid to break it. Turns out there is a plastic (of course) tab inside the lock that can get stuck. I cannot even describe now what it does. Unfortunately I am overseas, so cannot take a photo. If you want to see how the mechanism works from the inside (now that I can get it open), let me know here and I will share a photo when I get back (March 2024).
Good luck!

Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

Number of posts : 169
Home City : London
Model and year : Cruising Cabin 1991 pop top selectable 4WD 2.8 Diesel
Registration date : 2018-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button)   Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2024 11:42 am

I have a sheet of instructions for this awning. 3 below 3 in the next post Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) Img_6510
Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) Img_6511
Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) Img_6512

LH119V likes this post

Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

PostSubject: Re: Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button)   Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2024 11:43 am

Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) Img_6514
Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) Img_6513
Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) Img_6514
Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) Img_6513
Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) Img_6515

LH119V, g00se and ThoranX like this post

Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

PostSubject: Re: Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button)   Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2024 11:46 am

I wish I could find replacement parts for the top of the legs where they fit into the end of the awning. I have half a broken one so what I do every time is cable tie the parts together, but not very satisfactory.
Back to top Go down
ThoranX

Number of posts : 10
Home City : Seattle, WA
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Super Custom
Complectation: LH123V-ERPDS
Production Period: 08.1989 - 08.1998
Body: V1
Grade: DX
Options: 4FC HRF 4D SG 06S 1000K DSL 2WD

PostSubject: Re: Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button)   Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2024 4:52 pm

Thank you both! Will give it a shot and some wd40
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button)   Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2024 7:47 pm

Nice details!

My van doesn’t have one of these awnings. I sort of wish it did, but it was not fitted from new and my preference now is for a roll out (side) or fold out (180 or 270d) type. These are a lot simpler and a bit lighter but don’t have the originality. Interesting to learn they were made by YKK, who are a huge Japanese company; probably most famous for making zips

I have a relative with a camper that has a wind-out awning (different make) and they service theirs with Teflon grease or something and remove it off their van during the winter.

Great to see the original instructions!!
Back to top Go down
Arinaitwe

Number of posts : 1
Home City : Kampala
Registration date : 2024-01-14

PostSubject: Greetings   Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2024 8:08 pm

Hi guys
Back to top Go down
Gonewild
Not so new now
Not so new now
Gonewild

PostSubject: Re: Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button)   Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2024 11:32 pm

@Andonic - thanks for the paper guide! How awesome you still have that, what a classic.

As for the legs, yes mine have broken, too! One is held on by gaffa tape, the other is a plastic replacement I carved by hand from a block of plastic. Does anyone know if 3D printing is the way to go for hard plastic parts like this?

@LH119V - I also wonder what a 270 degree awning would look like on these campers, it would be great to cover the rear boot. One day I might make a post (or maybe someone already has) about options for rear boot covers / mosquito nets etc. I have seen a great custom-made one, but the guy was an upholsterer Smile

Teflon sounds better than grease / WD40. And I would struggle to take mine off(and being in Australia it’s used all year round) - I do think it would be too heavy, and I’d be worried about tearing those 30 year old bolts / holes that the awning goes into, but happy to be told its easy.

Cheers.

ThoranX likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button)   Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Awning lock release stuck (manual, central push-button)
Page 1 of 1