Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is it normal for HIACE to delay shifting in cold?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
peterspiro

Number of posts : 1
Home City : Melbourne
Registration date : 2023-02-21

Is it normal for HIACE to delay shifting in cold? Empty
PostSubject: Is it normal for HIACE to delay shifting in cold?   Is it normal for HIACE to delay shifting in cold? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2023 6:32 am

Hi thanks for having me here.
I have a van recently did the automatic transmission reconditioning because it couldn't engage 4th gear on freeway.

It also used to have a problem that I am not sure if normal:
When engine is cold, it wouldn't shift up to 2nd and the rest of gears for within 5 mins of starting.

To my surprise after the reconditioning, the problem still exists.
Although it seemed to be ok to go on freeway now, I also noticed that O/D OFF will not engage to 4th gear.
The garage said he had to modify solenoid as it's not available in the market anymore

Thanks for your help.
I appreciate it!

Last edited by peterspiro on Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Is it normal for HIACE to delay shifting in cold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it normal for HIACE to delay shifting in cold?   Is it normal for HIACE to delay shifting in cold? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2023 6:23 am

Very common result of faulty thermostat. Toyota/Aisin auto trans will lock out OD (4th) when the engine is not up to operating temp. Not sure exactly how or where the 1990 2.8 measures the temperature, or how it controls the trans (ECU or internallly?) but could also simply be faulty temp sensor or broken wire.

peterspiro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Is it normal for HIACE to delay shifting in cold?
Page 1 of 1