Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hiace ‘normal’ rear bumper swap to one with a step?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

Hiace ‘normal’ rear bumper swap to one with a step? Empty
PostSubject: Hiace ‘normal’ rear bumper swap to one with a step?   Hiace ‘normal’ rear bumper swap to one with a step? Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2022 10:20 pm

Hiace ‘normal’ rear bumper swap to one with a step. Can it be done? Plus tow bar consideration?

Hello

My LH119 has the rear bumper without a rear step but I think it might be useful to have one.

Can anyone on here who has had one of each comment? Or those with a rear bumper without a step say if they’ve looked at vans with rear steps and thought: “hmmm, that’d be handy”? Or anyone who has a step say: “I couldn’t live without the step”?

Also grateful to hear if anyone has done the swap, please? Easy? Difficult? Worth it?

The page on Amayama’s site that shows both options (for 4WD) is here:

=MT&filter[frame]=&filter[drive]=4WD]https://www.amayama.com/en/catalogs/toyota/hiace/4-van-3-left-h100-1989-2728/body-and-interior-3/rear-bumper-bumper-stay-169?filter%5Btransmission%5D=MT&filter%5Bframe%5D=&filter%5Bdrive%5D=4WD

It’s obvious that the ‘cover’ pieces (what we may look at and call a bumper) are different as one has a step and one doesn’t, but it seems that the inner, reinforcing pieces, which are made from steel are also different.

There are some great pictures of the version with the step at this site:
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t4333-some-pictures-of-my-1993-lh119

And @_Merlin shows the version without the step in his excellent YT video:

This might all be too much of faff / expense to swap. Especially as I’ve tidied up the inner metal pieces on mine and it looks better than new:
[can't find a picture of it after complete refub so here's one after cleaning; will edit the post later for the finished thing].
Hiace ‘normal’ rear bumper swap to one with a step? 2021-094

However, since I also need to repair my rear plastic bumper cover as the metal fasteners were seized and tore off some of the plastic supports I think it’s worth a look.

I’ve seen some evidence that it’s not possible to fit a tow bar on a van with the rear step version based on:
https://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/docs/imports05.pdf

I know it's not exact as there's a towbar fitted on @parxuk's van but he doesn't know where this came from.

My other option is to keep the bumper I have and build / adapt a step into the tow hitch I intend to add. Plenty of RWD and 4WD Ford vans, which are probably much higher off the ground than a Hiace do this. There's just a small limit on usaale trailer steering angle if the step is fixed. I might even be able to add a folding step like you get on Land Rovers, etc, or fit something into the receiver hitch; I plan to get that type of hitch if I can.

Oh and I have the added complication of a foglight below the bumper but I might be able to relocate that (possibly another post  Laughing).

Thoughts, please?
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Hiace ‘normal’ rear bumper swap to one with a step?   Hiace ‘normal’ rear bumper swap to one with a step? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2022 10:04 am

Not sure about cross-fitment but for-sure you’ll need the different frame behind the cosmetic face.

Towbars can be fitted no problem to either design. It’s not uncommon to even see the step extended with a metal plate as part of the towbar with round tube bumper protectors extended to each side protecting lights too. Like a rear bull-bar.
Check this site for pics of the plain tongue and ball on a stepped bumper Hiace…

https://www.towbar.co.nz/vehicles/car/688

Those guys pre-manufacture towbars for pretty much every model of Japanese domestic vehicle that has come into NZ. But they’re not the beefiest construction.

LH119V likes this post

Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

Number of posts : 169
Home City : London
Model and year : Cruising Cabin 1991 pop top selectable 4WD 2.8 Diesel
Registration date : 2018-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Hiace ‘normal’ rear bumper swap to one with a step?   Hiace ‘normal’ rear bumper swap to one with a step? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2022 4:58 pm

Hi LH119
I believe if you are in the UK, Watling towbars are your best bet (your only bet?) and they do say their won't fit the model with a step. I think we have the same model and I am really happy with the Watling towbar setup. If you want them to fit it, there is a long waiting list (at least there was last summer) but I arranged to go there, they checked it would fit my (LH119) Hiace and sold me one with all the bits needed for £220. I did pay my garage about £220 for fitting and I suspect Watling could have done it for a bit less as they are used to doing them. I'd say it's not much of a step though. Do you need a step?

LH119V likes this post

Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Hiace ‘normal’ rear bumper swap to one with a step?   Hiace ‘normal’ rear bumper swap to one with a step? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2022 7:26 pm

Thanks, both.

Interesting.

Yes, in addition to the pictures on here with the tow bar and step:
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t4333-some-pictures-of-my-1993-lh119

The one at:
https://www.towbar.co.nz/vehicles/car/688
has both. A picture from that NZ site is:
Hiace ‘normal’ rear bumper swap to one with a step? Toyhia10

It might be just that Wattling Towbars (WT) don’t have a model for the step bumper. I think I need to speak to them as I’m wanting to get a detachable front tow bar fitted so I can more easily manoeuvre and launch boats with my van and WT seem to be the market leader for these. As the front tow bar will have to be detachable, I think it might make sense for the rear one to also be on a receiver hitch. I’d also like the rear to be adaptable enough to serve several purposes once I have something.

How I go about the logistics will depend on what WT say. I’m happy to install it myself plus as I’ve got the inside panels off, sorting the electrics and adding a buzzer etc won’t be too difficult. I’ve got several trailer boards to test against and I think it might be worth creating a post on the fog lamp options. Will see.

So,

Andonic wrote:
Hi LH119
Do you need a step?

A good question!

The van is currently on six axle stands and up as high in my garage as I can get it so I’m maybe over egging the problem.

Here’s the shiny, restored front and rear bumper support pieces btw:
Hiace ‘normal’ rear bumper swap to one with a step? 2022-045

Might be a shame not to use it!

Thanks for the helpful suggestions and pointers. I hope this page might still be useful for others.

I'll update this with where I end up.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Merlin_
Not so new now
Not so new now
Merlin_

Number of posts : 76
Home City : Nelson BC
Model and year : 92 Hiace 4x4 Diesel Cruising Cabin
99 Tercel ce *mint*
00 Tacoma *loved and now lost, sold to buy my van!*
Registration date : 2012-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Hiace ‘normal’ rear bumper swap to one with a step?   Hiace ‘normal’ rear bumper swap to one with a step? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2022 6:23 am

I’ve considered looking into one of those step bumpers but have no actual reason for it. My hitch is a generic one with modified side pieces to reach up to the offset holes in the frame. I welded tabs on to reach the 3rd bolt hole in the underside of the frame

Hiace ‘normal’ rear bumper swap to one with a step? Ce73a710
Hiace ‘normal’ rear bumper swap to one with a step? 35045610
Hiace ‘normal’ rear bumper swap to one with a step? C000ff10
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/mjr760
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hiace ‘normal’ rear bumper swap to one with a step?   Hiace ‘normal’ rear bumper swap to one with a step? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hiace ‘normal’ rear bumper swap to one with a step?
Page 1 of 1