Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Question about automatic shifting

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
eskay

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Bristol
Model and year : 1992 Hiace 2.8D 4WD Auto
Yokohama Camper Conversion
Registration date : 2013-07-17

Question about automatic shifting Empty
PostSubject: Question about automatic shifting   Question about automatic shifting Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 7:53 am

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum but have already read some interesting posts.

I have just bought a 1992 2.8D 4WD Hiace (Yokohama camper conversion).

It has been many years since I have driven an auto and I just want you to settle my mind!!

On kickdown the gearbox changes down and seems to stay in that gear until I ease off of the accelerator slightly and then it shifts up again - is this normal?

It also seems when travelling at around 50-60mph that I need to ease off to get it to change into the gear that I think it should be in (again it may be me perceiving that it is in the wrong gear).

Should I normally drive around with the O/D button pressed in? When it is off, there is a light on the dashboard telling me that O/D is off (which makes me think that 'on' is the normal position).

One last thing! By the auto-shift stick there is a small red button - what does it do??

Thanks in advance.

Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Question about automatic shifting   Question about automatic shifting Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 8:37 am

O/D light off i.e. on is best. Only need to switch of for steep descent.

If it is hanging on in the lower gear just ease of the loud pedal a little you are driving it too hard and it is trying to obay, takes a while but you will get it.

Kickdown normal.

Little red switch overrides the ign off solenoid and allows you to move the gear shift. Allows you to move the bus without having the engine running.
Back to top Go down
eskay

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Bristol
Model and year : 1992 Hiace 2.8D 4WD Auto
Yokohama Camper Conversion
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Question about automatic shifting   Question about automatic shifting Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 10:04 am

Thanks Clive, that is reassuring and thanks for the additional information.

I have only had it a few days. I had a Lexus IS200 manual, petrol before (really missing it!) so this is quite a step change for me!
Back to top Go down
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 195
Home City : Central Scotland
Model and year : 94 2.8 Noppo HiTop Super-Long
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Question about automatic shifting   Question about automatic shifting Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi,
If you're not familiar with the 4WD setup you might find this useful:
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t2122-how-is-power-transmitted-from-rear-to-front-in-awd

...bit more on overdrive:
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t1979-overdrive

and there's more detail somewhere on using the 4WD but I can't find it just now!!

Cheers,
W.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about automatic shifting   Question about automatic shifting Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about automatic shifting
Page 1 of 1