Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Broken steering wheel tilt, how to manually adjust?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Lucsta

Number of posts : 1
Home City : Auckland
Registration date : 2022-10-28

Broken steering wheel tilt, how to manually adjust? Empty
PostSubject: Broken steering wheel tilt, how to manually adjust?   Broken steering wheel tilt, how to manually adjust? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2022 7:33 pm

The steering wheel tilt function on the hiace as just stopped working and it’s at the highest it can go so wanting to try fix it. When flip the switch I can hear the motors going but no movement I was wondering if there was anyway to fix this or just manually adjust it? Pictures would be great if no trouble

dzimm91 and chaseinthehiace like this post

Back to top Go down
chaseinthehiace

Number of posts : 1
Home City : Cartersville
Registration date : 2023-01-02

Broken steering wheel tilt, how to manually adjust? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken steering wheel tilt, how to manually adjust?   Broken steering wheel tilt, how to manually adjust? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2023 10:08 pm

Hi Lucsta,

I had encounter the same issue after purchasing my 97 Hiace super custom a few weeks ago. I finally was able to get the tilt to adjust and lower after disassembling the steering column covers and adjusting the backlash of the gears in the unit by shimming the gear with a washer. After playing around with the switch and motor and removing the cover of the gear housing of the unit. I noticed that the drive gear that lowers the tilt of the steering wheel appeared to be to far in to actually engage the screw gear driven by the motor. I assume that this due to wear of the gears that this unit drives. I installed a washer onto the backside of the gear to tighten up the play. The washer I used was a used washer I had laying around off of a drain plug of the rear diff of a 2007 Tacoma.

[Broken steering wheel tilt, how to manually adjust? Hiace11
Back to top Go down

Broken steering wheel tilt, how to manually adjust?
Page 1 of 1