Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How to fix tilt steering column vertical slop

Go down 
AuthorMessage
brewera
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 52
Home City : Hood River, Oregon
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Super Custom 4WD 1KZ-TE
Registration date : 2020-09-14

How to fix tilt steering column vertical slop Empty
PostSubject: How to fix tilt steering column vertical slop   How to fix tilt steering column vertical slop Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 5:22 am

I am not sure this is a solution for everyone but this worked for me.

My manual adjust steering column had slop in any position.  I had looked at the mechanism and was planning on ordering some new pawls but then found this thread (https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/tilt-steering-column-vertical-slop.715460/) on another forum.  

The solution was to loosen the bolt below and adjust the pawl that has hex grooves in it (Be sure to make a mark with a permanent marker so you have a point of reference when rotating).

How to fix tilt steering column vertical slop Img-2511

How to fix tilt steering column vertical slop Pawl_n11

Turns out that pawl has an offset bushing that can be adjusted to tighten up the slop.  Mine is way better now.  It could perfect if I replace the pawls but I am not as bothered now.

How to fix tilt steering column vertical slop Pawl_b11

Hope this helps someone else that has this issue!

Pete_nz and djathens like this post

Back to top Go down

How to fix tilt steering column vertical slop
Page 1 of 1