Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Petrol or Diesel

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 277
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

Petrol or Diesel Empty
PostSubject: Petrol or Diesel   Petrol or Diesel Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2022 8:49 am

Hi,

I was too late with regards to the Hiace with the failed driver's window and after checking out a few rusty and damp ones for sale in the UK, I'm thinking of going back to importing one now - even though the timescale for shipping is getting longer.

I don't need a four wheel drive and as the two wheel drive versions are usually a little cheaper, I'll go for one of those. This opens up the option of diesel or petrol. Watching the auctions, I get the feeling that petrol Hiaces are in less demand than the diesel ones too. So a 2.4 litre petrol Super Custom may be the best value at the moment.

But in terms of reliability and performance, most of the info I can find pertains to the diesel engine (3 litre turbo 1KZTE). Could anyone let me know the pros and cons of the two types in comparison?

Thanks,
Steve

Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 196
Home City : Bonney Lake, WA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited 4WD
1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E
Registration date : 2021-05-20

Petrol or Diesel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Petrol or Diesel   Petrol or Diesel Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2022 2:00 pm

Good Morning Steve.

The RZ and the KZ engines both have great reputations. The RZ engines have chains so no nightmare timing belt change in that small little space. The KZ has a belt but it is only between the pump and head so it’s trivial to replace.

The issue with engines in the Hiace is just keeping them cool. That and the van is very heavy.

My wife likes the relaxed nature of the turbo diesel in her van, and that’s what sells over here. I looked for a while and optioned 2WD gas vans were just not available in the market.

I can find fully loaded limited diesels much more easily.

But to answer your question more directly, the gas motors have a strong reputation. They helped build Toyotas reliability and run forever mystique over here. They have forged internals and low power density which is a great recipe for running forever. I have numerous friends and family that have 500000km plus on that engine and they just keep ticking.

Enjoy shopping Sir. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 277
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

Petrol or Diesel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Petrol or Diesel   Petrol or Diesel Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2022 9:25 pm

Thanks - good to know.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Petrol or Diesel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Petrol or Diesel   Petrol or Diesel Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2022 7:29 am

Any delay is good for Japan pricing for you. Prices have been sliding as world wide demand tails off with belt-tightening and cost of living increases. Hiace prices seemed to drop off s cliff a couple of months ago.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Petrol or Diesel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Petrol or Diesel   Petrol or Diesel Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2022 7:40 am

Wasn’t the 2RZ used in the base model Tacoma in the USA? Should be a lot of data and experience from that, and as blgravely says, the RZs are solid.
The 2RZ wasn’t particularly widespread here in NZ but the 1RZ was the workhorse Hiace engine in every work van that didn’t have the 2.8L diesel. Half a million kms and slill ticking away is very very common.

Having had all the engines (except the 2RZ) including the 1KZ diesel for 18 years (or was it 15?) I would only go petrol now. The fact diesel is more expensive to run here now is only part of it. The ongoing long term service costs of diesel engines makes petrol engines seem free to run.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

Petrol or Diesel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Petrol or Diesel   Petrol or Diesel Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2022 2:24 pm

I would see if you can find a petrol manual one.. simpler and lighter, and use less fuel Smile

Also petrol is cheaper in the UK.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Petrol or Diesel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Petrol or Diesel   Petrol or Diesel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Petrol or Diesel
Page 1 of 1