Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
CCMark

Number of posts : 13
Home City : Melbourne
Model and year : '97 Cruising Cabin
KZH116
Registration date : 2022-09-29

Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin Empty
PostSubject: Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin   Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2022 7:08 am

Hiya,

From what I can tell from the search- this hasn't been answered.

My Cruising Cabin came without its awning- does anyone know which ones fit the existing bolt holes? Australia-side preferably.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin   Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2022 2:57 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum

My CC doesn’t have an awning either. There’s no signs that mine ever had one (but does have the frame fasteners) so it’s likely they weren’t ubiquitous. Possibly a dealer option?

Given your location I’d suggest Drifta Stockton:
https://driftastockton.com.au/
I have no link with the company but I’ve seen their kit on a few vehicles and it looks smart and well made. They do various side awnings and also 270 degree types, plus free-standing ones.

When I get my CC back on the road I hope to fit one of their side awnings (more likely than 270d) so I’d be keen if you want to act as a test case, please? You can see a couple of images of my van on my ‘Show Us Yours’ pages. My CC is a pop-top and the second image there (of the left side) you can see the fasteners on the B pillar (two), behind the sliding door (three) and at the rear (also three). Is yours the same?

I particularly like the Drifta Stockton awnings because they are simple (no cogs etc) and roll up small. I also expect that they are easy to mount / take off. Maybe you can ask?

Also, once you’ve made a post there are relevant posts on similar topics on the page so it’s maybe worth looking at these, too?

Good luck and if you go with Drifa please let me know.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
CCMark

KZH116

PostSubject: Re: Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin   Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2022 1:04 am

Hey LH199V, thanks for your reply.

I have indeed been following your engine rebuild closely, how's it all going? How far off are you from getting back on the road?

Now you've got me looking at pizza ovens! That company looks a good find- well priced. Regarding the 270 awning- how do you think you'd go with the tailgate? I did find this YT video of a home-made version- looks pretty simple: [edit: I can't post links yet Very Happy]

I also found this company in the UK (Camper Van Culture) who do brackets to attach to roof gutter for ARB awnings (which are common here) but at 108GBP for the set it feels a little expensive: [Also can't post links]

It's the fitting that's more of a question for me. My van has the same sets of holes as yours but they're not plugged and suggest that an awning was once there. I'd prefer to reuse those holes if I can but if that's not an option then the ARB bracket option might be the best bet.

On another note- have you come across any roof brackets and mini-rack that neatly mount across the front before the pop top starts?

LH119V likes this post

Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin   Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin Icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2022 5:46 pm

Hello.

The engine is one of the few things that I’m not working on, other than front ancillaries, some of the intake and exhaust and everything behind the flywheel. What I call the engine (the block) is good and I’ve already rebuilt the startermotor electrodes. These wear quite quickly

On the general rebuild I’m starting to run out bits to start but ‘the end of the beginning’ is a lot different to ‘the beginning of the end’.

I have quite a few things to update on my ‘Show us Yours’ page, including the cooling; I have my front heater matrix back and a ton of other stuff done but  it’s still a project. I’ve been making a lot of progress on many areas but it doesn’t always warrant a post.

I’ve no idea if the Drifta awnings will work but they show them over a Landcruiser with a lift tailgate (I think). Just ask them!

The factory captive nuts are a standard M8 so a short bolt (well, machine screw) is just fine. The factory ones have a plastic washer to protect the paint; very important!! They are a Pozi #3. I’d also use a tiny blob of Loctite to keep them in place with an awning. I'd put something in, even temp to keep the moisture and muck out.

I don’t have any roof racks on my van. I only have ~150mm clearance to get my van into the garage and it’s currently as high up in there as I can (while on stands) and it’ll be very tight for me to use any racking.

OttoxEx on YT shows one example and I’m sure there are many others, such as VanLife NW. You just need to do some searching.

HTH!
Back to top Go down
CCMark

KZH116

PostSubject: Re: Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin   Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2022 11:42 pm

I decided to go for the Drifta awning- thanks for pointing them out. I've seen a few of them around here and they look pretty well made- they're all quite basic TBH! I'll let you know how it goes but I'm getting the side version, not the 270- I figure I can bridge the tailgate gap if I really need the cover there.

I've not solved the mounting challenge but there are some rain gutter mounts around so I'll pick up a pair and see how they go. I'm after something that doesn't need drilling into the body, despite the existing holes being there and begging to be used.
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin   Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2022 10:38 pm

Hello

That’s good to hear. Yes, their standard awnings do look pretty basic, but then they also seem light, easy to use and have a small frontal profile.

I think they do a white and orange LED strip light that’s also a simple but effective flexed awning support. This seems a great design.

I’d be trying to use the mount holes built into the bodywork, but possibly making or modifying some brackets to lift the awning up and clear of the sliding door.

My awning will have to wait until my van is towards being ready for the road. But do let me know how you get on and it’d be great to see some pictures down the line!

I saw another pretty decent-looking 270d one the other day on YT, here:

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
CCMark

KZH116

PostSubject: Re: Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin   Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2022 11:43 pm

Aha! Yeah, I saw this video pop up the other day as well.

As you say, in general, the 270 awnings come in at around twice the weight of the side awning and often 3-4 times the cost. The freestanding benefit is a legitimate one but I don't see a significant increase in usable surface area of cover below so I'll stick with the side. The OG awnings actually fixed the vertical spars to the side of the van, which could be an option to allow for freestanding.

Interested in your intention to use the existing bolt holes though as I had hoped to do the same. I can only assume they are to be used with the gutter as you'd need another mounting point vertically to hold something of weight with the holes being in-line. Or do you have a different idea?
Back to top Go down
CCMark

KZH116

PostSubject: Re: Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin   Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin Icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2023 4:40 am

Hey LH119V how’s the van coming along?

I finally managed to get my awning fitted although it took three sets of bracket attempts. Two were aftermarket versions (one from campervan culture that really should have fitted) and the final time I got some custom brackets made.

The custom brackets work perfectly and I’d highly recommend going down that road and using the three sets of M8 bolt holes to fix on- they’re very sturdy once fitted.

Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin Img_6412
Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin Img_6411
Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin Img_6410

I used 2mm stainless powder coated for the parts but you could use a thicker aluminium as well. I had to make the end plates come in slightly to allow for a 2.5m awning but if you had a 3m one you’d be fine.

Happy to share the tech drawings if anyone wanted them.

Mark

Andonic likes this post

Back to top Go down
West Coast Hiace CC

Number of posts : 7
Home City : Colwood, BC
Registration date : 2022-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin   Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin Icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2023 6:48 pm

CCMark wrote:
Hey LH119V how’s the van coming along?

I finally managed to get my awning fitted although it took three sets of bracket attempts. Two were aftermarket versions (one from campervan culture that really should have fitted) and the final time I got some custom brackets made.

The custom brackets work perfectly and I’d highly recommend going down that road and using the three sets of M8 bolt holes to fix on- they’re very sturdy once fitted.

Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin Img_6412
Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin Img_6411
Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin Img_6410

I used 2mm stainless powder coated for the parts but you could use a thicker aluminium as well. I had to make the end plates come in slightly to allow for a 2.5m awning but if you had a 3m one you’d be fine.

Happy to share the tech drawings if anyone wanted them.

Mark

Hi Mark. I would be interested in the tech drawings. The PM I sent does not appear to be successful.
Back to top Go down
West Coast Hiace CC

Number of posts : 7
Home City : Colwood, BC
Registration date : 2022-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin   Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin Icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2023 6:49 pm

Image from Hiacesoutheast, Jeff.Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin Img_0011
Back to top Go down
CCMark

KZH116

PostSubject: Re: Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin   Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin Icon_minitimeMon Sep 11, 2023 3:17 am

Hi Jeff, replied to your PM
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin   Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replacement awning for Cruising Cabin
Page 1 of 1