Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cruising cabin pop-top

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kcfyf95

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Whangarei
Registration date : 2021-09-12

Cruising cabin pop-top Empty
PostSubject: Cruising cabin pop-top   Cruising cabin pop-top Icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2021 8:27 pm

Hi all,
I’ve recently purchased a ‘93 hiace cruising cabin and proceeded to take the pop top off to to some maintenance, replace seal etc and in the process I’ve noticed one of the previous owners has replaced the hinges. The hinges that are in it now are just a single point hinge so when I lift the pop top it lowers the back and makes it impossible to open the boot. I was wondering if anyone has any information on what style of hinge was used in the factory construction and if there are any off the shelf replacements the would be more suitable, westfalia hinges etc, or if this is an item I would be better of custom engineering?
Cheers!
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Cruising cabin pop-top   Cruising cabin pop-top Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2021 8:56 pm

Bummer!

I can't help at the moment as my van (also a LH119V) is on axle stands in the garage and will be there for a few more months. Also I don't have part numbers or pictures of the hinge arrangement and I can't quite remeber how it all works. What I think is though that it's a sort of scissor hinge so the back of the top lifts up a bit when the front rises. From memory they are quite complex.

As nobody else had posted and I've not been on here for a while I thought I'd look through the newer posts and I see what's new.

Untill folks here get back with concrete info (come on everyone!) I'd try to get some measurements off the bodywork and top to see the anchor points and then try a few camper companies. Most pop-tops rise a bit at the back. You've come to the right place, but it's a shame you've not had a reply. Hopefull not too long.

Also, sadly the parts listing website I use: https://toyota.epc-data.com/regius_ace/lh119v/114894/ doesn't have much for the camper conversion and Toyota are vague to the extreme on this. Somewhere in Japan there's probably a rusty filing cabinet with all the camper info, but it's not easy.

I'm looking for a replacement seal for the vent / skylight on mine (see: https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t4121-cc-pop-top-skylight-seal-needed?highlight=skylight) and no responses either. Toyota could not help as thier parts list for the LH119 only seems to have the oblong (moon-pool) roof vents in thier catalogue.

This post (https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t3505-pop-top-roof-sealing-rubber-here-s-what-you-need?highlight=roof) might also be helpful.

Finger's crossed you get a response soon.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Kcfyf95

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Whangarei
Registration date : 2021-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Cruising cabin pop-top   Cruising cabin pop-top Icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2021 8:11 pm

Cheers for the reply mate! Thought it might be a bit like finding a needle in a haystack getting info on these, heard there’s not too many cruising cabins around. It’s not a major, I’ve got it back on with the old hinges and they do the trick. I think the westfalia is the same style as you were talking about but they’re $$$! Probably be a cheaper option to get a mate to make some up. I will keep scouring the corners of the internet to see what I can come across though.
Back to top Go down
Merlin_
Not so new now
Not so new now
Merlin_

Number of posts : 76
Home City : Nelson BC
Model and year : 92 Hiace 4x4 Diesel Cruising Cabin
99 Tercel ce *mint*
00 Tacoma *loved and now lost, sold to buy my van!*
Registration date : 2012-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Cruising cabin pop-top   Cruising cabin pop-top Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2021 6:46 pm

Not sure what type of hinges are in mine but it does pivot up a bit, as well when open, not just pivot at the hinge. Next time I have it open I’ll investigate some more. Not sure if would be possible to even get these anymore
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/mjr760
CCMark

Number of posts : 13
Home City : Melbourne
Model and year : '97 Cruising Cabin
KZH116
Registration date : 2022-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Cruising cabin pop-top   Cruising cabin pop-top Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2022 11:45 pm

Hey Kcfyf95, in your adventures into the pop top, you didn't happen to take apart the top window, did you? I think mine is leaking but there's a lot of silicone around mine and I'm reluctant to pull it apart just yet for fear of causing a major leak before I can cover it up.

Further, do you or others happen to know the dimensions of the hole? Looks like it might be a standard 14" x 14", but I might be wrong?
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Cruising cabin pop-top   Cruising cabin pop-top Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2022 10:25 pm

Hello.

Dunno it’s size, but I posted about this a good while ago. My thought and those from others are here:

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t4121-cc-pop-top-skylight-seal-needed#24942

HTH!
Back to top Go down
CCMark

Number of posts : 13
Home City : Melbourne
Model and year : '97 Cruising Cabin
KZH116
Registration date : 2022-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Cruising cabin pop-top   Cruising cabin pop-top Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2022 11:35 pm

Hey!

Useful post, did you get the seal resolved?

It's interesting seeing the nuances of the differences between the early model CC's and later models such as mine (1997). In some areas you can tell they've cut costs on later models (the interior fitout is more simple) but in other areas they seem to have learnt from earlier issues such as the 1KZ engine seems to be more reliable.

Almost certain my rooftop window is plastic rather than glass, which I'm neither here nor there about. When I get it back from the garage I'll make a call on what to do with it, would be great to have a fan fitted within it though as that could work as an extractor for cooking smells. I'll report back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cruising cabin pop-top   Cruising cabin pop-top Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cruising cabin pop-top
Page 1 of 1