Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear n/s brake sticking. 1998 super custom cruising cabin

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Di Bingles

Number of posts : 12
Home City : Dunfermline
Model and year : 1998 Super Custom - Cruising Cabin 3.0td Auto 1kzte KZH110
Registration date : 2021-05-11

Rear n/s brake sticking. 1998 super custom cruising cabin Empty
PostSubject: Rear n/s brake sticking. 1998 super custom cruising cabin   Rear n/s brake sticking. 1998 super custom cruising cabin Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2022 1:22 pm

Hi All

I have a RHD 1998 Super Custom Cruising Cabin 3.0 TD 1kzte Auto 2wd and love it. Rear n/s drum brake sticks occasionally, stripped the drum, which is spotless, and replaced the cylinder with no joy. I have purchased new slack adjusters does anyone have, or had the same problem and is it likely to be the adjusters? Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Di Bingles

PostSubject: Re: Rear n/s brake sticking. 1998 super custom cruising cabin   Rear n/s brake sticking. 1998 super custom cruising cabin Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2022 1:25 pm

Rear n/s brake sticking. 1998 super custom cruising cabin Img_2010
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Rear n/s brake sticking. 1998 super custom cruising cabin   Rear n/s brake sticking. 1998 super custom cruising cabin Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2022 9:52 pm

Hello.

Nice and tidy van!

Is it seats inside or a camper?

Little sensible to comment on the brakes but I also have rear drums. There's a good Timmy the Toolman YT vid on Toyota rear drums, but you're probably fully aware of how they work etc.

I think it's the handbrake 'take up' that adjusts the shoes, so this needs to be 'set' before the brakes are used. The pedal and wheel cylinder just actuate the brakes as they are.

Might your handbrake not be acting evenly? Don't want to send you down a false rabbit hole, but just a thought.

HTH
Back to top Go down
Di Bingles

PostSubject: Re: Rear n/s brake sticking. 1998 super custom cruising cabin   Rear n/s brake sticking. 1998 super custom cruising cabin Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2022 10:54 am

Thanks, it's the factory camper version. Deliberately haven't used the handbrake for weeks, not hard being an auto, and changed the wheel cylinder just in case there was some pitting in it. It's only the trailing shoe that seems to stick, and even then only occasionally. Stripped the drums a couple of times and everything is spotless and works as it should. I am replacing the slack adjuster just in case it's a weakening spring on it that's struggling to pull the shoes back after use. I also considered the load sensing valve but this would have both drums affected as opposed to just near side.. open to suggestions though if others have or had the same issue. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Di Bingles

PostSubject: Re: Rear n/s brake sticking. 1998 super custom cruising cabin   Rear n/s brake sticking. 1998 super custom cruising cabin Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2022 11:01 am

Rear n/s brake sticking. 1998 super custom cruising cabin Img_2012Rear n/s brake sticking. 1998 super custom cruising cabin Img_2012Rear n/s brake sticking. 1998 super custom cruising cabin Img_2012Rear n/s brake sticking. 1998 super custom cruising cabin Img_2013

LH119V likes this post

Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Rear n/s brake sticking. 1998 super custom cruising cabin   Rear n/s brake sticking. 1998 super custom cruising cabin Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2022 10:02 pm

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

I wonder when they started putting the CC logo on the canvas? I've seen it on some but mine doesn't have that branding. I'm 99.99% sure the canvas on mine is original and thankfully it and the top are in great shape. You can see some pictures on my ‘Show us Yours’ page:

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t4317-my-lh119

And I wish mine was a shiny as yours. Ah, one day.

I’ve got some pictures of the rear brakes on my page but as I wrote above I’ve not had a sticky drum. In addition to the work you are doing, I’d suggest checking the handbrake cable dimensions.

I think the 2WD and 4WD handbrake setups are different in that on mine where the single cable from the cabin becomes two cables to the drums the bracketry is stamped ‘4X4’.

Again, on mine the RH cable is adjustable in length with a bottle-screw so that the take up and resulting hand-applied brake pressure can be made as even as possible. I wonder whether if the RH was adjusted too long then more handbrake adjustment might be applied to the LH? I’ll be buying new rear cables and will need to learn what the correct set distance for the RH cable will be. I hope there’s something in a manual…?

Changing the return spring(s) is sensible and slack adjusters but see if your cables have an adjustment, too. No car I’ve ever owned had a handbrake cable that was adjustable. If they were unequal you just had to replace them.

HTH
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear n/s brake sticking. 1998 super custom cruising cabin   Rear n/s brake sticking. 1998 super custom cruising cabin Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear n/s brake sticking. 1998 super custom cruising cabin
Page 1 of 1