Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bought a 1998 super custom 4WD and planning to build camper

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lemonfox91
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 23
Home City : Sydney
Registration date : 2021-10-19

Bought a 1998 super custom 4WD and planning to build camper Empty
PostSubject: Bought a 1998 super custom 4WD and planning to build camper   Bought a 1998 super custom 4WD and planning to build camper Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2021 9:38 am

This is my first van ever and never built anything before but planning to build it into a full time van to travel and live on the road at least 3 - 6 months at a time with the occasional visits home. Any tips or guidelines i should look out for or any guides out there that can help me along the way? With this specific vehicle if there is would be even better. Thank you Smile
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Bought a 1998 super custom 4WD and planning to build camper   Bought a 1998 super custom 4WD and planning to build camper Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2021 5:46 am

Have a good look around this forum, particularly the 'show us yours' thread, there's some great info and ideas to be found here and if you have any questions I'm sure folks will be only too happy to help with answers; as the saying goes, the only stupid question is the one which isn't asked.
All the best for your build.

lemonfox91 likes this post

Back to top Go down
lemonfox91
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 23
Home City : Sydney
Registration date : 2021-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Bought a 1998 super custom 4WD and planning to build camper   Bought a 1998 super custom 4WD and planning to build camper Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2021 8:53 am

Thank you Smile
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Bought a 1998 super custom 4WD and planning to build camper   Bought a 1998 super custom 4WD and planning to build camper Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2021 1:21 pm

Some of the conversion depends upon the type of roof, but as mentioned, there are a few ideas on the forum, some of mine are here: https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t3479-camping-conversions

For me my main success is to use the drivers seat space to slide the fridge into... and also the bed, which is a 4 way Minimal / single / short / double (120cm) design, with storage bins underneath.

Also the heating and electrics, with a part that can be closed off witha curtain for the bathroom and sink. Mine has no hot water though, which is not ideal, some method to make it 'a bit warm' would be useful.. not sure the best way for this.. without great complexity or a magical 12V water heater of about 10A that can be used when driving.
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Bought a 1998 super custom 4WD and planning to build camper   Bought a 1998 super custom 4WD and planning to build camper Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2021 11:08 pm

Not something I have any experience of, but there are a number of interesting van conversion or van life pages on facebook. A common theme is minimising weight. It seems that a number of people have got carried away with timber flooring and paneling only to end up above the van's legal weight even before adding camping equipment.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Bought a 1998 super custom 4WD and planning to build camper   Bought a 1998 super custom 4WD and planning to build camper Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2021 11:33 pm

MalL wrote:
Not something I have any experience of, but there are a number of interesting van conversion or van life pages on facebook. A common theme is minimising weight. It seems that a number of people have got carried away with timber flooring and paneling only to end up above the van's legal weight even before adding camping equipment.

A good point, many people 'over build'. The use of bed slats helps.. - it saves weight and also communicates that 4x2 might not actually be needed for a bed frame!

Also 10mm ply is fine on the floor, and in general cupboards can be 4mm ply.

I think mine may have ended up lighter... because those seats + runners that I removed are very heavy!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bought a 1998 super custom 4WD and planning to build camper   Bought a 1998 super custom 4WD and planning to build camper Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bought a 1998 super custom 4WD and planning to build camper
Page 1 of 1