Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help identify part

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bullwinkle

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Truckee
Registration date : 2018-08-31

Help identify part Empty
PostSubject: Help identify part   Help identify part Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2022 2:19 am

Help identify part 20220713
Help identify part 20220714
Can't seem to find this in my assembly diagrams. This is on the 1991 LH107G with the 3L. Hoping to get a part number or diagram so I can do the repair
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

Help identify part Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help identify part   Help identify part Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2022 9:59 am

Mechanical speedometer drive old school.
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

Help identify part Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help identify part   Help identify part Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2022 3:56 pm

Hello both and ‘Bullwinkle’, welcome to the Forum. Great name!

I’ll bow to JT69’s knowledge, but it sure looks like a speedo cable. Seems like on yours the housing has had a knock so this might be more than ‘just’ a cable swap.

I’ll deal with that first.

If you have to change the cable, I think it’s fairly involved. I’ve not done a cable swap but it runs along the RH chassis rail under the driver’s seat. Places where the ‘sun don’t shine’ then loops up somewhere around the radiator to the instrument cluster. The cable is contained on the Electronics Parts Catalogue with the meters (instruments). On mine, it’s:

https://toyota.epc-data.com/regius_ace/lh119v/114894/electric/8301/

Then scroll down (a lot) to Scheme 17! This shows the right-angle version of coupler. Is this yours?

I have the curved variant. This link is for my LH119 van. Modify this for your ‘LH107-xxxxx’ based on your build plate (under LH front seat).

If the cable is fine, which it might well be and I started writing the bit above before I looked properly at the pictures and links it might ‘just’ be where this goes into the transmission and this is where you do need to decode your build plate as this will list your transmission code, which you can decipher on the Hiacesoutheast web site. There are loads of useful resources there, too. These include decent repair manuals and the best electrical manual I’ve seen.

On mine a manual the speedometer driver gear is here:

https://toyota.epc-data.com/regius_ace/lh119v/114894/electric/8301/

You need your transmission code and head into the EPC with the correct option to work out what’s what. As there are a seemingly a couple of threads on the casing part you might be able to metal repair the bits. This might depend on what’s left inside the screw cap. Can the lost bit be reattached or not? Another repair option might be to cut a deeper thread on the casting so it screws onto a new bit though you might need to modify the innards of the coupler. If this is half decent and might hold then wrap the whole lot in self-amalgamating tape or some sort of potting compound for long term support and waterproofing.

I’m unfamiliar with the auto boxes but into the mix I think you need to factor what the lines that come into the casing do and whether you can open this up (good clean first) and remove it. Repair will be easier off the vehicle and this is the route if it’s a replace…

Good luck and

HTH
Back to top Go down
Bullwinkle

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Truckee
Registration date : 2018-08-31

Help identify part Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help identify part   Help identify part Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2022 2:26 am

Thank you so much!!! This is all very helpful. The cable it's seems fine. Even the pin connecting the joint to the casing is okay. This seems to me like a non-essential component so I'm guessing it's okay to drive the thing for now unless there's cause for concern there. Other than not having a functioning speedometer.
Back to top Go down
nikalex
Not so new now
Not so new now
nikalex

Number of posts : 28
Home City : Vancouver BC Canada
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom
3L diesel
Automatic
4WD
2" lift
30" x 9.50-15 BFG All Terrain tires
4 man Roof Top Tent
Registration date : 2016-04-15

Help identify part Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help identify part   Help identify part Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2022 11:47 pm

Good day Bullwinkle.
I had the same rig for last 7 years or so (now have a Dyna quad cab LY280 4WD 5sp with a 5L).
On my LH107G that speedo cable input connection is driven at the same transfer case point. The funny little thing between the speedo cable and transfer case speedo output spline is actually an oil type pump which recirculates power steering fluid back to the power steering pump. The faster you go, the more that feedback loop cuts out power steering to the point where the power steering pump basically does no work. This of course is because you really only need power steering at low speeds. The reason this is important is because it seems unique to the JDM rigs. Therefor the part is hard to find and must be sourced out of Japan. I may have an exploded diagram and some part numbers at home. If you send me an email address I can scan and send you those part numbers. I think I found the info originally on one of the Japanese part suppliers websites. If that little power steering feedback recirculation loop pump seal fails, it sends power steering fluid all the way up the speedo cable housing and leaks out of the back of the instrument cluster right onto your foot. Ask me how I know? (-: Cheers, Roman

LH119V likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help identify part Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help identify part   Help identify part Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help identify part
Page 1 of 1