Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Thermostat choice

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Merlin_
Not so new now
Not so new now
Merlin_

Number of posts : 76
Home City : Nelson BC
Model and year : 92 Hiace 4x4 Diesel Cruising Cabin
99 Tercel ce *mint*
00 Tacoma *loved and now lost, sold to buy my van!*
Registration date : 2012-11-26

Thermostat choice Empty
PostSubject: Thermostat choice   Thermostat choice Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2022 1:05 am

I’m doing a coolant flush soon and will hange the thermostat water pump and some hoses as preventative maintenance. It looks like there are 2 different thermostats 88c and82c. Anyone have opinion on which one to choose and why?  Thanks

Last edited by Merlin_ on Wed May 25, 2022 7:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/mjr760
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

Thermostat choice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thermostat choice   Thermostat choice Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2022 8:45 pm

Hello Merlin

Been wondering this, too.

As an opener you might like to read the long post I’ve put here on cooling:

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t4317-my-lh119

Not teaching you to suck eggs of course, but I’ve gone into the cooling system pretty fully and this post also shows where I flushed my heaters etc. You need to scroll down below the pictures of the rear brakes. On the flushing pictures, there, the green braided hoses were freshwater ones, but I did this both ways. Hope it helps. Also, in the future I will add a drain tap somewhere along the low point of the rear heater loop as this doesn't drain properly. You can see this and it's sort-of implied in the 'drain and refill' v 'fill from empty' volumes for vehicles with rear heaters, which is ~2L more.

I also think you are spot on to carry out preventative maintenance on the cooling system. There have been a few posts in recent times on cooling and it seems to be a fairly common thread, which was part of my thinking for my post, which isn’t finished yet btw.

Here's a photo of the thermostat from my 3L-engined van:
Thermostat choice 2022-042

The device is in a bag, in a box, on a shelf in another room so no disassembly required. Mine is a ‘MotoRad’ make and is stamped 88C (192F) in its cup.

I’ve no idea how original this is (suitability for Japanese, UK or anywhere else env temp range for example) or if there is a better variant out there (faster opening etc) but when I took it out I did test it, using the ‘pan of water on cooker with thermocouple’ method and it worked fine. I also don’t know whether vehicles that are used for towing etc would benefit from a different opening temperature.

Hiace southeast:

https://www.hiacesoutheast.com/store/cooling-system

list 3 thermostats but don’t mention what the operating temperature on their 3L variant is. You could ask, I suppose, but you can see their others are 82C or even 71C so I’d guess their 3L is 88C.

The best fit repair manual I have for my van (RM156) doesn’t sadly have a ‘co’ or coolant chapter and the ones I have that do have a ‘co’ chapter are for the 1RZ and 2RZ engines these use a 82C thermostat.

For my LH119 van the Electronic Parts Catalogue recommends two thermostats and both are for 88C, see:

https://toyota.epc-data.com/regius_ace/lh119v/114894/engine/1603/16331A/

You should probably tailor this to yours and see if it’s different.

The last thing to mention is whether a lower operating thermostat temperature might give a degree of safety against overheating or whether a lower temperature might have other consequences; is over-cooling a thing? I don’t know.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down

Thermostat choice
Page 1 of 1