Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Thermostat alternatives

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ajg5z6

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Kansas City
Registration date : 2020-08-01

Thermostat alternatives Empty
PostSubject: Thermostat alternatives   Thermostat alternatives Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 1:27 am

Hello everyone. New owner and member. I just picked up my SuperCustom yesterday in Washington. Everything was fine the first 3 hours. Then the temp gauge started fluctuating. I can only find one mechanic in Seattle willing to work on it but he's booked up the next three weeks. I live in Kansas City. So I'm kind of stuck here trying to figure what to do. I've been trying to find any American market alternatives for the JDM thermo and gasket. Then maybe I can speed up the timeframe or possibly do it myself. Any suggestions? I'm pretty desperate at the moment. I'm a long way from home and I need to get back. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
nikalex
Not so new now
Not so new now
nikalex

Number of posts : 28
Home City : Vancouver BC Canada
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom
3L diesel
Automatic
4WD
2" lift
30" x 9.50-15 BFG All Terrain tires
4 man Roof Top Tent
Registration date : 2016-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat alternatives   Thermostat alternatives Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 6:25 pm

Hi
First of all what engine do you have?
As you might know temperature fluctuations could be head gasket related. Or water pump etc. If you have the 3L engine (2.8 l non turbo) I have a thermostat and gasket. I am located in Vancouver BC. Not that close with borders shut down these days but maybe via UPS.
I have a water pump and head gasket as well.
When I travel to California and back I carry a ton of spares just in case.
Good luck
Roman
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat alternatives   Thermostat alternatives Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 7:51 pm

We will need to know what engine it has!
Back to top Go down
ajg5z6

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat alternatives   Thermostat alternatives Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 8:32 pm

Sorry guys. Panic mode and unfamiliarity are to blame. Its the 2.4 efi, the model number is RZH101G-MRPGE. Again, sorry. Just now got her.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat alternatives   Thermostat alternatives Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 8:46 pm

2.4 efi - is that a petrol?

Possibles: 1. Low coolant, 2 thermostat, 3 faulty fan boss.

Look in the engine bay and find the big rubber pipe that goes from the radiator to the top of the engine. There will be a thermostat housing in there somewhere, see what access is like.
Consider replacing the thermostat. They do have a life span.

See if the coolant overflow bottle has enough coolant in it. Is the coolant clean? If not, consider a change to Toyota long life coolant.

Fan boss: When it's warm listen to it. Mind your fingers. It should ROAR and move lots of air when warm. If not, you will need either to top-up the fan boss silicone oil (Google) or replace it. Either way the fan has to come out.

Also check the connection to the gauge, on a sensor on the head, near a water channel: it could just be loose!

Back to top Go down
ajg5z6

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat alternatives   Thermostat alternatives Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 10:45 pm

Coolant is good. Fan is good. Must be thermo then. Just hoping theresa USDM option. I haven't found one. I might be stuck here for a long time
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat alternatives   Thermostat alternatives Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 11:09 pm

If you are definitely stuck with the thermostat then I'd remove it and try going to a parts store to get one that matches.

As it's summer and a Hiace (limited air flow), you may even be able to leave it out, or dismantle it so it's always open.

I would expect however that if you find a more popular Toyota car of that year that used a 2.4L efi engine - that the thermostat would be available and fit.

Perhaps go to
http://jp-carparts.com/toyota/partlist.php?maker=toyota&type=711140&cartype=136&fig=1708
and select your model and engine number, find the cooling system page and look in the list/key on the right section - and find the actual Toyota part number - and search that.
Back to top Go down
nikalex
Not so new now
Not so new now
nikalex

Number of posts : 28
Home City : Vancouver BC Canada
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom
3L diesel
Automatic
4WD
2" lift
30" x 9.50-15 BFG All Terrain tires
4 man Roof Top Tent
Registration date : 2016-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat alternatives   Thermostat alternatives Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 6:14 pm

You are making us work to try and help you.
We assume you have the 2RZE engine. 4 cylinder gas, 2.4 later EFI.
Not sure what year your RZH101G-MRPGE Hiace is either.

If it was me and I was stuck in the States with a Japanese domestic market vehicle (JDM) I would first try to see if a Previa thermostat and gasket is close to what you have. Some of us have manuals for these Hiace. If you search online you might get lucky.

The 2RZE engine is covered by engine manual RM167e and supplement manual RM889e.

These manuals show you factory repair techniques but nut individual part numbers.

If you are stuck I do have these electronically but they are reasonably big files.

Search this forum for links to the manuals also.

Cheers and good luck, Roman
Back to top Go down
4Misch
4Misch

Number of posts : 13
Home City : Eugene
Model and year : 1995 Super Custom Limited
Registration date : 2020-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat alternatives   Thermostat alternatives Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 8:26 pm

The 2.4L RZ was used in many 2wd Tacoma's of the era. might be able to find one pretty easily.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat alternatives   Thermostat alternatives Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thermostat alternatives
Page 1 of 1