Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Which engine?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
L355HEN

Number of posts : 5
Home City : BISHOP'S STORTFORD
Registration date : 2021-08-08

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2021 8:24 pm

Hi, could someone ease shed some light on which engine is fitted into my 93 4x4 import. Picture as attached.
Log book says 2.5 but plate says kzh106 1kz te but it doesn't look like any pics I have seen. Plus the oil filter for the 1kz te doesn't fit.  Please excuse my lack of knowledge.  Thanks
Back to top Go down
L355HEN

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2021 8:33 pm

Which engine? Img-2015
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 12:39 am

Interesting and no excuses needed. I don't know how to tell the engines apart either.

From the picture, it looks quite similar to my lowly 3L engine, but that's not proof. There's a lot of info on wikepedia and other sites, such as: https://www.kalalahti.com/dataBySubject/DieselEngines.html . Based on that, the 1KZ-TE came out in '95. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_KZ_engine describes the 1KZ-TE as 3.0 L (2,982 cc), 4 cylinder, SOHC, 2 valves per cylinder turbo diesel engine with indirect injection. Yours is def indirect injection, but I can't see a turbo in that picture... If it is the 1KZ-TE then cool, I think that is a powerful motor and I wish I had one. The wikipedia site says the 1KZ-TE was fitted to Hiaces in Aug '93 so that sounds more promising.

The engine number is (usually badly) stamped onto a bit of the engine block, but it's typically hard to read. The stamping (mine is 7 digits long) is on the LH side, near the front. It's sort of underneath the thermostat housing, just forward of the intake manifold. Try squirting some WD-40 onto the ledge there and the numbers should be revealed, poss with a bit of rubbing. I found I could get a decentish picture with some oblique lighting. I'd then phone your friendly Toyota dealership parts dept and get them to run the numbers.

Finger's crossed for you...

L355HEN likes this post

Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 7:13 am

Looks exactly like the 3L (2.8 litre) in our present camper and the previous one other than the air intake which to me looks like it probably goes to a turbo in your pic (hard to tell) but that's not conclusive of course. Ours were both non-turbo.

Our Toyota dealer can look up with just the rego number and find all the details right up to individual parts and their associated part numbers so that is worth trying.
Back to top Go down
L355HEN

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 8:31 am

Ok great, will give that a try. Thanks

L355HEN likes this post

Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

Number of posts : 169
Home City : London
Model and year : Cruising Cabin 1991 pop top selectable 4WD 2.8 Diesel
Registration date : 2018-01-25

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 1:18 pm

Do you have a model number - something like U-LH119V-RRPES
If you plug that into this website you get all the info about your van and engine.
https://jp-carparts.com/toyota/figlist.php?maker=toyota&type=711140&cartype=106
(that is for my van but you can search for your model number).
THis website has great parts lists with exploded diagrams tailered to your model.
Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

Number of posts : 169
Home City : London
Model and year : Cruising Cabin 1991 pop top selectable 4WD 2.8 Diesel
Registration date : 2018-01-25

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 1:30 pm

I'd say that looks like the 3L engine - a 2.8 diesel. More basic engine but simpler which might be a good thing. Mine goes slowly uphill Very Happy
Back to top Go down
L355HEN

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 1:34 pm

Thanks. I think the engine has been replaced as the plate says its the kz Te butnits definitely not that one.
Mine is slow up hill as well so that would make sense!
Will check the engine itself later to see if I can get the stamp number
Back to top Go down
L355HEN

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 9:12 pm

Thanks for all responses, found the code on the block and its the 3L 2.8 engine. So it must of been changed from the original kz te during the vehicles life (unfortunately!)
Should now be easier getting parts. Thanks again
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2021 6:35 am

But as everyone has said, it'll go fine on the flat but put an uphill incline in front of it and it'll slow right down unless it has been enhanced by a turbo! It might be more satisfying to think about fitting a better engine unless you're not worried about 'slow'.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which engine?
Page 1 of 1