Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Engine won’t rev up

Go down 
+5
JT69
cordless
GPW
Hiace4wd
Jwilde71
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Jwilde71

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Mackay
Registration date : 2018-11-17

Engine won’t rev up Empty
PostSubject: Engine won’t rev up   Engine won’t rev up Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2018 7:01 am

My hiace is a 2000 model the engine light came on but drove home fine, next day it would not rev up and engine light still on I have disconnected battery but still the same. Any ideas please
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Engine won’t rev up   Engine won’t rev up Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2018 10:59 am

Which engine, and what kind of transmission.
Back to top Go down
Jwilde71

PostSubject: Re: Engine won’t rev up   Engine won’t rev up Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2018 9:23 pm

Engine - 1KZ - TE with an automatic transmission
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Engine won’t rev up   Engine won’t rev up Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2018 10:04 pm

Maybe you can search for "1kz ecu" on this forum and see if one of the topics describes the problems that you have. Because this engine sometimes has ECU problems
Back to top Go down
Jwilde71

PostSubject: Re: Engine won’t rev up   Engine won’t rev up Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2018 8:24 am

Thanks I will have a look
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Engine won’t rev up   Engine won’t rev up Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2018 11:16 pm

Jwilde71 wrote:
Engine - 1KZ - TE with an automatic transmission

There's a manual for this available to read here
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t730-1kzte-engine-manual#19439

2000 is a bit young for ECU faults so I'd check all the sensors. Something is causing the ECU to go into 'limp home' mode by the sound of it. If you can read the OBD2 code it may tell you something, but I'd start with the ECU temperature sensor (not the gauge one) and anything like oil level etc. Could just be a dodgy connector.
Back to top Go down
cordless

Home City : Mackay Qld Au
Registration date : 2019-02-15

PostSubject: throttle position sensor   Engine won’t rev up Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2019 3:04 am

Hi can anyone advise where we can purchase a throttle position sensor for this Super Custom, 1KZ - TE with auto transmission, and is it located at the throttle pedal .
This engine will start fine but will not rev up, only comes just off idle, I am now trying to help the owner out with fixing it.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Engine won’t rev up   Engine won’t rev up Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2019 10:47 am

cordless wrote:
Hi can anyone advise where we can purchase a throttle position sensor for this Super Custom, 1KZ - TE with auto transmission, and is it located at the throttle pedal .
This engine will start fine but will not rev up, only comes just off idle, I am now trying to help the owner out with fixing it.

The actual throttle is under the passenger seat where the throttle cable ends up, I don't think there's a sensor at the pedal. The 1kz is unusual that it has a throttle at all - many diesels don't, I assume it's there for safety (prevents run-away engines).

It definitely has one somewhere though!

Engine won’t rev up 1-KZ-TE-ECU-Plugs Engine won’t rev up 1-KZ-TE-ECU-Wiring
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 413
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Engine won’t rev up   Engine won’t rev up Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2019 7:27 pm

Yes its operated by cable were I fitted the cable from my cruise control if yours will not increase engine speed it must be broken or dis engaged somewhere.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Now running on veg oil

PostSubject: Re: Engine won’t rev up   Engine won’t rev up Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2019 10:09 am

Further to throttle cable checked my engine just now yes its cable operated but there is a position sensor at the opposite side of the throttle body this will be all part of the electronic fuel controls.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Engine won’t rev up   Engine won’t rev up Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2019 5:21 am

If it won't rev up at all that sounds like something more than 'limp home' mode as it couldn't go home at all if it couldn't rev up at least a little. I'd be looking at the mechanical parts - the cable and the throttle plate and any interconnecting linkages if it truly won't increase in revs from idle at all. Has the butterfly plate come loose and is remaining in the closed position regardless of the cable movement?
Back to top Go down
cordless

PostSubject: engine wont rev up.   Engine won’t rev up Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2019 12:10 am

This model does not have a throttle cable, it has the pedal with a position sensor on it and the sensor has a lever on it that sits against the pedal. The number on it is 89281 - 26010 and a Denso number 198300 - 8090 so we are assuming that this is the part we need.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

PostSubject: Re: Engine won’t rev up   Engine won’t rev up Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2019 5:35 am

Ah OK, sorry.
If you pull off that sensor or unplug it in position you should be able to check it with a multimeter; they're usually just a potentiometer (i.e. a variable resistor) which divides the 5 volt supply from the ECU down to a voltage proportional to the rotation angle. The carbon track inside those devices can wear through but a meter will tell you straight away. Don't buy a new sensor until you know you need one!
Check first that the 5 volts is there at the sensor as a short (even on another sensor which uses that supply) or a broken wire would stop it working, similarly a broken wire returning the variable signal to the ECU would have the same effect. Also, of course, a damaged ECU but as @ GPW said above yours is young enough it shouldn't be suffering from the leaking capacitor problem. Come back and tell us what you find.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Now running on veg oil

PostSubject: Re: Engine won’t rev up   Engine won’t rev up Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2019 8:57 am

Bit confused here my 1KZte is 1996 and certainly has a throttle cable,  cable from pedal to throttle body with sensor on the opposite side, is the 2000 model different or are we talking about a separate model altogether, went into this when I fitted a cruise control that had to be the old vacuum operated one rather than the more modern electronic one.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Engine won’t rev up   Engine won’t rev up Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2019 11:34 am

Mine also has just a cable (1996)

2000 is from the original OP, 'cordless' is a new poster and hasn't said why year his Hiace is.

Cordless: What year is your Hiace? Have you got a model number for it?
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

PostSubject: Re: Engine won’t rev up   Engine won’t rev up Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2019 10:39 pm

Yikes my bad too, I took that 2000 as his year, should have read more carefully. His will be a lot later model, I think. Anyway my testing suggestions will certainly apply to his.
Back to top Go down
cordless

PostSubject: Re: Engine won’t rev up   Engine won’t rev up Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2019 1:17 am

Engine won’t rev up : Hi Guys, I have not been able to get back to you for a while, we are still trying to get this Hiace going, we gave up for a while but need to get it back on the road now, we are desperately wanting a trottle position sensor, can anyone help out with where we can get one from. It is a 2000 year model, we have tried wreckers here in Australia and no luck. any help appreciated. thanks.
Back to top Go down
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
ruffnut

Number of posts : 1042
Home City : Highett Australia
Model and year : kzh100 1996
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Engine won’t rev up   Engine won’t rev up Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2019 4:37 am

that happened to me a while ago and it was a fuel filter problem. I changed the filter and disconnected and then reconnected the ecu have not had  a problem since.mine is a 1996 1kzte auto trans.

cheers Dave:cheers: .
Back to top Go down
Nzcustom
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 31
Home City : Hastings new zealand
Registration date : 2019-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Engine won’t rev up   Engine won’t rev up Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2019 8:36 pm

Most wreckers here in Nz have a shit load of parts for these . Give bj wreckers in Napier a call , and would most probably send to aus no drama
Back to top Go down
deebohinds

Number of posts : 1
Home City : Jamaica
Registration date : 2022-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Engine won’t rev up   Engine won’t rev up Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2022 2:21 pm

Good day guys. I need your help with my 2003 hiace customs 1kz diesel engine. Ots in limp mode and not reving up.

I have scanned it and three things came up , the throttle motor, ecg valve and the timming control malfunction.

I have rectified all 3 and it stills in limp mode.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine won’t rev up   Engine won’t rev up Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engine won’t rev up
Page 1 of 1