Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Windscreen leaking ? , what can I do

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
margrae
Not so new now
Not so new now
margrae

Number of posts : 29
Home City : Newcastleton, scottish Borders
Model and year : Super Custom Ltd, LWB 2001

Super Custom LWB 2001
Registration date : 2007-06-22

Windscreen leaking ? , what can I do Empty
PostSubject: Windscreen leaking ? , what can I do   Windscreen leaking ? , what can I do Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2021 1:31 pm

I have a 2001 3 litre SC, Model KJ-KZH132V-EFPDT. I have had water in both footwells but more in passenger side. This van has sat for over a year just been turned over mostly. I assume the windscreen is a bonded one ? and had just wanted it resealed, but of course if it breaks during resealing process I would need a replacement. The rubber seal around screen has spaces at the lower corners, is this usual ? and could it be a source of the water ingress. Tried to put a pic...but had prob.

Back to top Go down
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Windscreen leaking ? , what can I do   Windscreen leaking ? , what can I do Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2021 2:19 pm

I think i may have the same problem as you, I'm getting water in my driver's footwell, and it's coming from behind the sheet metal below the A pillar. I'm not sure if it's the windshield that's leaking or if it's the front sunroof drain that's clogged. I too have gaps in the trim pieces that surround the windshield, at both the top and bottom corners. The trim pieces are cosmetic only, but the gaps might lead to the bonded seal receiving additional exposure to the elements and perhaps accelerate it's deterioration. I have a string of dry days coming up and I plan on applying water here and there to hopefully determine what triggers the leak.

Also not excited about the prospect of having the windshield pulled and re-bonded, as I have a repaired rock chip, which I've been told increases the chances of the windshield breaking during R&R.

I can actively see water coming out from behind the nut in the below picture and also from the plastic film sticker up and left of the nut that's covering an opening in the sheet metal.

Windscreen leaking ? , what can I do Leak10
Back to top Go down
margrae
Not so new now
Not so new now
margrae

Super Custom LWB 2001

PostSubject: Re: Windscreen leaking ? , what can I do   Windscreen leaking ? , what can I do Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2021 2:50 pm

Hi
I have sent pics of my windscreen to National windscreen, they have said that the screen is not a bonded one. The problem will be to get the replacement rubber seal although I think there are some others on here that have managed to source them. Our van has been nowhere for over a year now and has no sun roof either so my reckoning is it's the windscreen. After reading on this forum about windscreens I was almost sure mine was a bonded one but I guess these fitting companies can tell ? The next thing will be finding rust under the said leaking screen !!... Just had a thought, I think the windscreen wash tubing is located behind the glovebox...could be a source of water maybe. Is there anything simple !!
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Windscreen leaking ? , what can I do   Windscreen leaking ? , what can I do Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2021 8:01 pm

I was able to do some leak testing today, starting at the bottom corner of the windscreen, letting the water hit the gap in the windscreen molding for 30 minutes, and then working my way up the a-pillar to the top corner of the windscreen where there was another gap, and then across the top. I clamped a garden hose to a ladder, so I wouldn't have to stand there all morning Wink No leaks. I applied the water to the rain gutter, wondering if there was a hairline crack in a weld to the body, no such luck. I then ran the water over the front sunroof, and within minutes I had water coming out the locations I mentioned before. My guess is that there is a clog where the sunroof tray meets the drain tube, or the tube itself has become disconnected. I'm going to start up a separate post about this. I would recommend trying this as well before moving forward with a windscreen replacement.
Back to top Go down
margrae
Not so new now
Not so new now
margrae

Super Custom LWB 2001

PostSubject: Re: Windscreen leaking ? , what can I do   Windscreen leaking ? , what can I do Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2021 1:02 pm

djathens wrote:
I was able to do some leak testing today, starting at the bottom corner of the windscreen, letting the water hit the gap in the windscreen molding for 30 minutes, and then working my way up the a-pillar to the top corner of the windscreen where there was another gap, and then across the top. I clamped a garden hose to a ladder, so I wouldn't have to stand there all morning Wink No leaks. I applied the water to the rain gutter, wondering if there was a hairline crack in a weld to the body, no such luck. I then ran the water over the front sunroof, and within minutes I had water coming out the locations I mentioned before. My guess is that there is a clog where the sunroof tray meets the drain tube, or the tube itself has become disconnected. I'm going to start up a separate post about this. I would recommend trying this as well before moving forward with a windscreen replacement.

Unfortunately I don't have a sun roof.....so windscreen is the likely suspect. I have at the moment put some cling film on the windscreen to see if that at the lest reduces the water ingress. It has been raining practically non stop for the last couple of days...so will check today what water has come in. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Bagface
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 59
Home City : Aussie
Model and year : 1994 Super Custom Living Saloon Ex 4wd 1KZ-TE
Registration date : 2020-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Windscreen leaking ? , what can I do   Windscreen leaking ? , what can I do Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2021 2:02 pm

i have living saloon ex.

I have exactly the same problem - was going to buy a videwo camera on a flexible stick thing to have a good look.

out with the stepladder and a hose!

post any solutions, thx

Back to top Go down
Bagface
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 59
Home City : Aussie
Model and year : 1994 Super Custom Living Saloon Ex 4wd 1KZ-TE
Registration date : 2020-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Windscreen leaking ? , what can I do   Windscreen leaking ? , what can I do Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2022 6:22 am

i am going to duct tape up the screen - then i will now! simple solutions
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Windscreen leaking ? , what can I do   Windscreen leaking ? , what can I do Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2022 11:01 am

A suggestion, the top of the front wheelarch has a hole in it for a clip, it's quite possible for the wheel to throw water up, and it to run down into the footwell. Have a look there Smile

ETA
It's right on the outside, towards the door. I think it's for the internal trim piece.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windscreen leaking ? , what can I do   Windscreen leaking ? , what can I do Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Windscreen leaking ? , what can I do
Page 1 of 1