Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Front CV Boot Replacement

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
shaggy0928
Not so new now
Not so new now
shaggy0928

Number of posts : 44
Home City : Denver, USA
Model and year : 1994 Super Custom Limited
Registration date : 2020-10-09

Front CV Boot Replacement Empty
PostSubject: Front CV Boot Replacement   Front CV Boot Replacement Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2021 3:57 pm

Hi all,
Got around to taking a look under the car this weekend and noticed my passenger's side CV boot is torn (wheel side).

The rest of the rubber bits under the car look excellent, but for whatever reason that one is torn mostly all the way though.
Toyota lists a kit for replacement that looks like it has the boots, bands, and grease in it.
Has anyone done a boot replacement? Any specific guides for Hiace or things I should be aware of? I plan to do a writeup as I didn't find one on this forum, but any info before tearing into it would be swell.
Back to top Go down
TacticalAnt
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 61
Home City : Carson NM
Model and year : 95 super custom, auto, full time 4x4, 1kzte
Registration date : 2021-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Front CV Boot Replacement   Front CV Boot Replacement Icon_minitimeSun Oct 08, 2023 9:53 pm

shaggy0928 wrote:
Hi all,
Got around to taking a look under the car this weekend and noticed my passenger's side CV boot is torn (wheel side).

The rest of the rubber bits under the car look excellent, but for whatever reason that one is torn mostly all the way though.
Toyota lists a kit for replacement that looks like it has the boots, bands, and grease in it.
Has anyone done a boot replacement? Any specific guides for Hiace or things I should be aware of? I plan to do a writeup as I didn't find one on this forum, but any info before tearing into it would be swell.

Any success with this? I see hiacesoutheast has the boot kits. I was hoping for a split boot, but no success so far.
Back to top Go down
shaggy0928
Not so new now
Not so new now
shaggy0928

PostSubject: Re: Front CV Boot Replacement   Front CV Boot Replacement Icon_minitimeMon Oct 09, 2023 4:55 am

I was successful! I completely forgot that I even wrote this post.
I am sure that the ones from Hiace Southeast are Toyota ones or Toyota equivalent.

It really was not that bad of a job. The worst part for me was getting the split ring but things off the wheel studs, but folks advice of just tapping the side with a hammer proved successful. The rest was not at all hard, just messy.

The kit that I got from Toyota had all the grease required for inner and outer. The only thing missing was the c clip that keeps the driveshaft through the hub. It does come with the one that retains it inside the differential. I did not realize this so I mangled it, thinking I had a replacement.
However, they are sold by Toyota USA from a I think a 90s 4Runner. I just picked a few up from the local Toyota parts dept.

These pics are not that helpful, but they're really the only ones I took.
Front CV Boot Replacement 20220411
Front CV Boot Replacement 20220412
Front CV Boot Replacement 20220410
Back to top Go down
TacticalAnt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Front CV Boot Replacement   Front CV Boot Replacement Icon_minitimeMon Oct 09, 2023 5:23 am

Hi thanks for responding so fast. Only my outboard rh side is leaking, but im wondering if inboard has to come off to get to the outboard? Ive done this several times on myFJ cruiser, and on it you need to replace the inner to get the outer one on. Looks like it might ne same deal? Did you find the install details online or in a FSM?
I wondered about the 90 4runner being a similar part, but didnt see the part numbers matching up?
Will be selling the Hiace soon if you know anyone in the market.
God Bless,
Chris
Back to top Go down
shaggy0928
Not so new now
Not so new now
shaggy0928

PostSubject: Re: Front CV Boot Replacement   Front CV Boot Replacement Icon_minitimeMon Oct 09, 2023 5:29 am

Correct. You have to take the inner off to get to the outer.

If I remember right, the whole kit (sans that one clip) was not expensive.

The only part I found in common for the 4Runner was that outer c clip for the CV axle. I never did find any other common parts down there. I just figured I'd do it once and not think about it again.

As for install details, I think they could probably be found in the various manual that are floating out there on the internet. I think for me I just kind of winged it, or maybe found a youtube video or forum post? I honestly can't remember.
Back to top Go down
TacticalAnt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Front CV Boot Replacement   Front CV Boot Replacement Icon_minitimeMon Oct 09, 2023 5:36 am

Ok, so only the clip was from a 90 4runner, not the boots? The boots didn't cross reference to any other domestic toyota?
Back to top Go down
TacticalAnt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Front CV Boot Replacement   Front CV Boot Replacement Icon_minitimeMon Oct 09, 2023 5:40 am

As for split cones (rings) you mentioned. Ive been dealing with these since back in the 80’s with my first toyota 4x4. The key i found is spray with penetrating oil, the tap the studs with a hammer and a chunk of brass to protect the threads. The vibrations will bring them off straight away.
Back to top Go down
shaggy0928
Not so new now
Not so new now
shaggy0928

PostSubject: Re: Front CV Boot Replacement   Front CV Boot Replacement Icon_minitimeMon Oct 09, 2023 4:34 pm

TacticalAnt wrote:
Ok, so only the clip was from a 90 4runner, not the boots? The boots didn't cross reference to any other domestic toyota?

It turns out I lied! Apologies.

I went back through my email to find the part no. for those boots, but it turns out they are available domestically in the USA. I got mine from ToyotaPartsDeal
https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~boot~kit~front~drive~shaft~04438-35021.html

It does not appear that they sell just the outboard joint since, as you said, you have to take them both off to get the outer off. It is a pretty reasonable $55, so overall worth it, to me. The part that I believe the kit did not include was 90520-27023.

Here are the part pages for the front hub and front driveshaft so you don't have to take my word for it.
Hub:
https://jp-carparts.com/toyota/partlist.php?maker=toyota&type=711140&cartype=144&fig=4303

Driveshaft
https://jp-carparts.com/toyota/partlist.php?maker=toyota&type=711140&cartype=144&fig=4302

Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
TacticalAnt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Front CV Boot Replacement   Front CV Boot Replacement Icon_minitimeMon Oct 09, 2023 6:12 pm

Awesome, i just ordered toyota parts off ebay, about. $75 per side. Might as well do them all.
Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
TacticalAnt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Front CV Boot Replacement   Front CV Boot Replacement Icon_minitimeMon Oct 09, 2023 6:16 pm

Didi you buy your rig in Taos by chance? Im looking at your thumbnail and it looks like the scenery along the drive on 159 north from Taos NM.
Back to top Go down
shaggy0928
Not so new now
Not so new now
shaggy0928

PostSubject: Re: Front CV Boot Replacement   Front CV Boot Replacement Icon_minitimeMon Oct 09, 2023 7:14 pm

TacticalAnt wrote:
Didi you buy your rig in Taos by chance? Im looking at your thumbnail and it looks like the scenery along the drive on 159 north from Taos NM.

I sure did! Well, I picked it up from there. I bought mine at auction but had a person who deals them in Taos pick mine up for far less than the trucking companies wanted.
Back to top Go down
TacticalAnt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Front CV Boot Replacement   Front CV Boot Replacement Icon_minitimeMon Oct 09, 2023 8:16 pm

Yep, that sounds like James. We bought ours from him as well. We live near Taos and have a business there. Small world.
Back to top Go down
TacticalAnt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Front CV Boot Replacement   Front CV Boot Replacement Icon_minitimeMon Oct 09, 2023 8:19 pm

In fact, not sure when you bought yours, but if it is a manual trans, we may have test driven your prior to him ordering ours in.
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Front CV Boot Replacement   Front CV Boot Replacement Icon_minitimeMon Oct 09, 2023 9:57 pm

Cracking work.

I went for OE Toyota boots as I struggled a bit to work out the exact parts and whether replacements would fit and be right. I found the Toyota parts to be superb quality; thick rubber, great clips and plenty of black and brown grease.

The kits I got also included the driveshaft circlip so if anyone is interested I can share the part numbers. I would say though that the Toyota parts were frighteningly expensive. I see another recent post on here for a starter rebuild and again I went original for that and these parts were (for me) cheap and good value, but these boots were crazy pricey.

As I’d not done a set before I found the general advice in the relevant ‘Timmy the Toolman’ YT video for driveshafts excellent.

Remember to get the grease in the bearings and spiders not just in the boots. The boots are just there to encapsulate the parts and keep the road muck out.

HTH!!
Back to top Go down
TacticalAnt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Front CV Boot Replacement   Front CV Boot Replacement Icon_minitimeTue Oct 10, 2023 3:32 am

Ha, now i know what you meant by “boots” in the starter thread. Timmy the tool man has the best in depth video for cv joints. I found a good one for removing the axle by only removing lower shock mount. That was for a 4runner, so hopefully will work on the hiace as well.
https://youtu.be/kIoWt6_iXPM?si=OB5zxEllsZzPfC9T
Back to top Go down
TacticalAnt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Front CV Boot Replacement   Front CV Boot Replacement Icon_minitimeWed Oct 18, 2023 9:21 pm

This job is done, can confirm the only thing that needs to be removed is the lower shock mount. Compress shock and tie it up out of the way with wire.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front CV Boot Replacement   Front CV Boot Replacement Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front CV Boot Replacement
Page 1 of 1