Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Front Grille Emblem Replacement

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

Front Grille Emblem Replacement Empty
PostSubject: Front Grille Emblem Replacement   Front Grille Emblem Replacement Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2018 4:42 pm

I know this is a long shot, but Google turned up nothing, so here goes.

Anyone with a 2wd/4wd Super Custom Limited ever replaced the 'Super Custom Limited' emblem in the grille? It's the rectangular plastic emblem set into the grille on the right side of the grille when looking at the front of the vehicle.

First pic is what the emblem looks like, and second pic I found online showing the inset area of the grille where it is mounted. Not sure how it was removed, but looks like they didn't do a great job. It almost looks like it was adhered via a silver glue/paint, since the emblem is clear plastic around its perimeter and only has silver behind the lettering.

I was thinking about using a hair dryer/heat gun to try and loosen whatever is adhering the emblem to my grille, but wanted to see if anyone had another suggestion. Thanks!

Front Grille Emblem Replacement Emblem10

Front Grille Emblem Replacement Grille10
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

PostSubject: Re: Front Grille Emblem Replacement   Front Grille Emblem Replacement Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2018 6:38 pm

Wanted to post an update for informational purposes. After receiving the new emblem I took it down to my body shop and we popped off a corner of the emblem on my van and it looks like some type of adhesive transfer tape was used to affix the original emblem to the grille. We deduced that the paint missing around the border of the new emblem is due to it remaining adhered to the transfer tape when the emblem was taken off the other van's grille. This lines up with the silver paint being left behind in the prior post's photo of a grille I found online.

Once we've identified an approximate match on the paint color, the plan is to pop off the old emblem with a heat gun and a putty knife, take some 1000 grit sandpaper and remove the silver paint from the back of the new emblem, respray the back with the new paint, then affix the emblem to the grille with new transfer tape.

Here's a photo of the current emblem on my van, I'll post a few more pics when the work gets done.
Front Grille Emblem Replacement Emblem11
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Front Grille Emblem Replacement   Front Grille Emblem Replacement Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 12:08 pm

I took mine off a while back as all the gold and silver paint of the lettering was faded and cracked. I did a great job tarting it up, but when I glued it back in place the glue I used reacted weirdly with the paint on the emblem so it ended up looking cr*ppy. I totally should has used transfer tape!
Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
djathens
djathens

PostSubject: Re: Front Grille Emblem Replacement   Front Grille Emblem Replacement Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2018 2:45 am

Rats! Sorry to hear that, I was actually considering gluing it before deciding to have the shop to do the job. They had to order more transfer tape, but they went ahead and got the emblem prepped. Excited to see it once it's on the grille!

Front Grille Emblem Replacement 20181110

Front Grille Emblem Replacement 20181111
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Front Grille Emblem Replacement   Front Grille Emblem Replacement Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2018 12:37 pm

Damn that looks good. That'll make the front look smashing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
djathens
djathens

PostSubject: Re: Front Grille Emblem Replacement   Front Grille Emblem Replacement Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2018 2:21 am

The shop finally got the transfer tape in and R&R'd the emblem. Turns out the emblem is not set in a recess in the grille, that was just a dirt shadow in the photo I found online. Finished product looks great and they wouldn't charge me for the work, said it was fun for them!  Very Happy  

Front Grille Emblem Replacement 20181211

Front Grille Emblem Replacement 20181210

Front Grille Emblem Replacement 20181212
Back to top Go down
aistobistoc

Number of posts : 11
Home City : Los Angeles
Registration date : 2018-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Front Grille Emblem Replacement   Front Grille Emblem Replacement Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2019 9:00 pm

Hey, where did you get the new one? I'm in the US too and am looking for a replacement as mine is super cracked.
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

PostSubject: Re: Front Grille Emblem Replacement   Front Grille Emblem Replacement Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 12:17 am

I bought mine off of the Buyee website, which is a proxy buying service that allows people living outside of Japan to purchase items from the Japanese Yahoo! auctions site. The item is shipped to Buyee's warehouse, then they inspect it and ship it on to you. They have options for insurance, package consolidation, repackaging for safe transit, etc.

I used Google Translate to translate Hiace Emblem into kanji and then entered that into the search in Buyee. I went ahead and did that, the link is below (I aliased it, as it was hideous):

Buyee Search

Here's a similar but different search:
Buyee Search 2

I think I just scrolled through all the listings until I found one. You may have to check back periodically before one shows up. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front Grille Emblem Replacement   Front Grille Emblem Replacement Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front Grille Emblem Replacement
Page 1 of 1