Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Spokane Washington did you get rid of your Hiace radio?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

Spokane Washington did you get rid of your Hiace radio? Empty
PostSubject: Spokane Washington did you get rid of your Hiace radio?   Spokane Washington did you get rid of your Hiace radio? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 8:48 pm

It's a shot in the dark, but did anyone near Spokane, Washington replace their Toyota cassette deck and donate the unit to a thrift store or an e-waste company? I found a unit on eBay that's listed by an e-waste seller, and though the listing says 'good working condition' I doubt they really tested it (considering all their listings say the exact same thing). If this was your radio, can you tell me if the tape deck and radio were working?

Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Spokane Washington did you get rid of your Hiace radio?   Spokane Washington did you get rid of your Hiace radio? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2021 5:04 am

Did you see my reply in your other thread?
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

PostSubject: Re: Spokane Washington did you get rid of your Hiace radio?   Spokane Washington did you get rid of your Hiace radio? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2021 7:11 am

I did see it, thanks for responding. At the moment I'm trying to maintain the status quo, as between my wife and I we have a pretty large tape collection (her 300TD also has a tape deck).

I'm going to first take the dash fascia off this weekend and pull the radio to see if I can get the adapter out and get the unit working again.

If that falls, I've got to decide between rolling the dice on an eBay unit, or buying new. I've been looking at the Sony DSX-GS80, with its 45W RMS x 4 class-D amplifier. The external "amps" in the Hiace don't do a great job of pushing my aftermarket speakers, so I may consider biting the bullet and running new speaker wires from the Sony (it's not recommended to connect it to external factory amps).

It's pretty cool you can set the backlighting on the Sony to a custom RGB value. I downloaded an app that will tell you the RGB of any point in a photo, so it's possible to mimic the same color as my dash lights.

Pulling the radio will also give me an opportunity to take measurements to make sure a new unit will fit.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

PostSubject: Re: Spokane Washington did you get rid of your Hiace radio?   Spokane Washington did you get rid of your Hiace radio? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2021 4:19 am

Don't believe that '45w RMS', it will really only be about 16-20W depending if the alternator is running. No head unit I've ever seen has a DC-DC converter to give the output stage more voltage than the direct battery feed, that's the domain of the external amplifiers and don't expect to be able to use the AM band on the radio because the RFI from the converters obliterates any but the station whose transmitter you're driving past at the time. Class D outputs could easily have the same issue which is likely why I see that a lot of new units don't even have an AM band any more. Don't you folk in the USA still need AM reception for Civil Defence or has that changed now?
I get really annoyed at the misrepresentation of audio output powers, it's just a numbers game to fool those people with no technical knowledge (remember those 'ghetto blasters' that were powered from dry cells and supposedly output a hundred watts or so?)
OK so you still use cassettes but remember that it is easy to transfer them to a USB stick which will plug into most any new unit and will be far less prone to damage. Winter project?
Anyway do look into replacing any worn drive belts in your existing unit which seems the likely problem from your description, it is not usually difficult provided you can source new belts (rubber bands won't work as they don't have the strength.)
Pity you're not here, I'd take a look at it for you.
That unit looks to be the normal DIN standard size so any single DIN unit will drop straight in but I think there's actually room in the Hiaces for a double DIN unit if you remove the little tray which is above or below the unit.
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

PostSubject: Re: Spokane Washington did you get rid of your Hiace radio?   Spokane Washington did you get rid of your Hiace radio? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2021 5:50 pm

Good news, bad news. I got the deck out and was able to disassemble it and extract the tape, but after reassembly the tape unit was still confused about what state it was in. After resetting the tape carriage to be ready to accept a tape, it would only draw the tape in a cm or so, and then spit it out. I reset the carriage back to the position it was in when it failed, and that just yielded intermittent clicks upon powering on. The carriage portion, and drive spindles are all gear driven, so no belts to replace there. Unfortunately I think this unit has reached EOL.

I hear you on the wild claims audio companies make on amps and speakers, having dabbled in home/car audio over the years, but there are YouTube videos on the Sony unit where they hook it up to testing equipment on a bench and get the advertised power rating, plus the below, from the mfr:

CTA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the Sony DSX-GS80 are compliant with the CTA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the DSX-GS80 are as follows:

Continuous Power Output: 45 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)

I'm still waiting to hear back on whether the tape deck works an eBay deck pulled from a JDM Land Cruiser, but I'm leaning towards the Sony at this point. I can always plug a portable tape player into the AUX port! jocolor
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

PostSubject: Re: Spokane Washington did you get rid of your Hiace radio?   Spokane Washington did you get rid of your Hiace radio? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2021 4:48 am

Ah a quick Google shows that it may indeed contain a DC-DC converter from the pictures of the circuit board, that would be impressive. I see no mention of any radio tuner specs though so whether they've tamed the RFI from the converter and the class D outputs remains to be seen. I'll be interested to read your opinion when you have it installed if you do go for that.
Pics (scroll down a bit):
https://www.worldwidestereo.com/products/sony-dsx-gs80-high-power-digital-media-receiver-with-bluetooth

Sounds like your tape mechanism has possibly jumped some teeth on those gears, unless one of the little microswitches has become faulty so it doesn't know where it is.
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 196
Home City : Bonney Lake, WA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited 4WD
1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E
Registration date : 2021-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Spokane Washington did you get rid of your Hiace radio?   Spokane Washington did you get rid of your Hiace radio? Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2021 3:57 pm

I am replacing my wife’s tape deck, CD player combo with a North American Toyota cassette with CD changer the weekend.

Cassette works fine, just has Japanese bands.

It has the 15 pin JBL interface.

We’re off 410 near JBLM if you want or can use it
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 196
Home City : Bonney Lake, WA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited 4WD
1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E
Registration date : 2021-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Spokane Washington did you get rid of your Hiace radio?   Spokane Washington did you get rid of your Hiace radio? Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2021 3:58 pm

I’d send a photo but I don’t know how
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

PostSubject: Re: Spokane Washington did you get rid of your Hiace radio?   Spokane Washington did you get rid of your Hiace radio? Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2021 8:07 pm

Thanks for the reply. I ended up installing the aftermarket head unit mentioned above, which has had me grinning ever since Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spokane Washington did you get rid of your Hiace radio?   Spokane Washington did you get rid of your Hiace radio? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spokane Washington did you get rid of your Hiace radio?
Page 1 of 1