Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hiace Rookie Season!

Go down 
+5
solaesthetic
thompsono
MalL
GPW
Kippax
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jbouchelle10
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 27
Home City : White Salmon, Washington
Model and year : 1992 Toyota Hiace 2.8l 3L LH107 Diesel 4x4 ATM 4-Speed
Registration date : 2020-08-04

Hiace Rookie Season!  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiace Rookie Season!    Hiace Rookie Season!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2020 3:59 pm

@djathens | hmmm I will have to test the rear AC vs the front. I have typically just turned them both on and it is cool at its very best.

On the tires do you use-studded tires in the winter? Or would you suggest a straight-up snow tire? Good call on the knobbies. Makes sense and I would really like the additional traction.
Back to top Go down
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Rookie Season!    Hiace Rookie Season!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2020 4:19 pm

I don't run studded tires due to the damage they cause to the roads. These days, a top-rated winter tire will perform as well or better than a studded tire and is much quieter. There's a lot of debate on this topic, but that's my take after doing some research.

So far, I've run the K02's year round. They do great on the snow, but if there are stretches of ice, they get a little squirrelly. Feels like the wind can push the van around a bit, and on ice that is not confidence inspiring. Driving slower solves this. Running a few psi lower may have helped me a little in that scenario as well.

For the AC, another tip is to hit the recirculate button once the cabin has cooled to lower than the outside temp. That way you're not sucking in warmer air and trying to cool that. And one last tip, run your AC once a month for 10-15 mins to keep the seals in your compressor and AC lines in good health, as the fluid settles and seals can begin to dry out.
Back to top Go down
jbouchelle10
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Rookie Season!    Hiace Rookie Season!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2020 4:43 pm

I am with you on the studded tires. It seems like a lot of people locally run studs in the wintertime. I can pursue some high-end winter tires. The good news on driving slow is that it is my specialty, and the van seems to preform ideally when she is cruising.

I felt the wind the other day when I was driving west down the gorge on 14. I was impressed by how well the van did in the high winds, surprisingly. My other car gets pushed all over the place. The van had some wiggle but seemed to handle it like a champ!

Thanks for the AC tips!
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Rookie Season!    Hiace Rookie Season!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2020 5:23 pm

That's my MO as well. The van doesn't and often can't go fast, so it just encourages you to take it easy. To refute Sammy Hagar, "I can drive 55!" geek

Fun fact, I did a 0-60 test the other day from a metered freeway on-ramp and I got a whopping 24 seconds! Sleep
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Rookie Season!    Hiace Rookie Season!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2020 6:07 pm

jbouchelle10 wrote:
I was messing around with the AC yesterday, and it appears the AC button on the dash does nothing in terms of cooling airflow vs. the AC button not being turned on.

Can you elaborate on this? It sounds like pushing the AC button on the dash does nothing?
Back to top Go down
jbouchelle10
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Rookie Season!    Hiace Rookie Season!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2020 8:52 pm

@djathens | so the AC button the dash when you press it to turn it on it turns green. But if the AC is running and I turn it on or off the AC button, it doesn't make the air any cooler whatsoever. Not sure if that is an issue with the button or something more mechanical.

In short, exactly as you said, the button does more or less nothing.
Back to top Go down
Djhatzigiannis
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 21
Home City : Eltham
Registration date : 2020-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Rookie Season!    Hiace Rookie Season!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2020 2:34 pm

do you guys have lift to fit 235 75 15?
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Rookie Season!    Hiace Rookie Season!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2020 4:13 pm

@Djhatzigiannis I believe you may have to do a lift to get that size of tires to fit into the front wheel wells. I bought a set of 2" lift springs for the rear, and cranked up the torsion bars in the front. I get some rubbing in the front close to full lock on the steering wheel, but I've developed muscle memory on when to stop turning the wheel Smile
Back to top Go down
jbouchelle10
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Rookie Season!    Hiace Rookie Season!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2020 8:11 pm

Well, I just had my first van snag. My new insurance company (State Farm) just called me and told me that after the fact that they cannot provide insurance on the van because it is a gray market vehicle that doesn't meet the emissions and safety standards of the US.

My insurance consultant suggested that I get a vehicle inspection via the DMV. I told her I was likely to pursue other insurers first and make that the last resort. Has anybody had this issue before?
Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

Number of posts : 169
Home City : London
Model and year : Cruising Cabin 1991 pop top selectable 4WD 2.8 Diesel
Registration date : 2018-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Rookie Season!    Hiace Rookie Season!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2020 8:30 pm

The tyres were feathering and that probably caused most of the noise. They were Goodrich mud tyres. They did look impressive though. Those KO2s look great - might consider those in the future.
Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

Number of posts : 169
Home City : London
Model and year : Cruising Cabin 1991 pop top selectable 4WD 2.8 Diesel
Registration date : 2018-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Rookie Season!    Hiace Rookie Season!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2020 8:35 pm

"do you guys have lift to fit 235 75 15?"

My van has a 3" lift - and I have 235/70 tyres
(By the way the 3" lift restricts the number of insurers that will take me on)
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Rookie Season!    Hiace Rookie Season!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2020 3:16 pm

@jobouchelle10 My van is insured through Hagerty, who insures specialty vehicles. I had no issues getting that set up. You just declare the value of the vehicle, ended up being ~$45/mo.

DEQ/DMV processes/requirements vary by state. In Oregon, I sailed through DEQ, but had issues with getting registered at the DMV. Had to go to a different DMV office and try another agent as the first one was demanding a bill of sale, even though the people I talked to never had to furnish one for Oregon DMV. Eventually got it sorted out, but was a PITA!
Back to top Go down
jbouchelle10
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Rookie Season!    Hiace Rookie Season!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2020 3:23 pm

@djathens | Crisis averted. I reached out to my old insurance company, and they do insure gray market vehicles, and it is around the same rate as yourself per month. I was a little bugged out at first, but all was fixed within an hour.

I was going to reach out to Hagerty next if my old insurance company was unable to ensure the van. Happy days!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Rookie Season!    Hiace Rookie Season!  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hiace Rookie Season!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2