Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help to diagnose LH Front noise

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lovethatvan

Number of posts : 15
Home City : Wellington
Registration date : 2017-12-13

Help to diagnose LH Front noise Empty
PostSubject: Help to diagnose LH Front noise   Help to diagnose LH Front noise Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2020 9:38 pm

Whirring noise in the front (unchanged if in neutral) have replaced wheel bearing and upper ball joint Hiace supercustom 1994 2wd automatic

It’s a whirring wom wom noise above 30km, disappears at 60km in the front LH. Is unaffected by turning corners, unaffected by shifting in to neutral. It’s not too loud, but I can hear it over the stereo. It’s a whirring humming, not a squealing or grinding, it changes a bit in pitch and speed but not too much. Had several people listen to different areas of the van who all think it’s coming from LH front. I was hoping it was wheel bearing/upper ball joint, the rubber gasket of the joint had torn and it had a lot of play, bearing had a bit of play, but I replaced both and the noise continues. I also got four new tires so it’s not tire cupping making the noise. What else can I check in that area? Is there another bearing (I’m a very diy mechanic) Is it possible the noise is carrying from the RH? Is it possible it’s a drive velocity joint? Would that still whirr at the same pitch when it’s flicked into neutral ? Thanks for reading and much appreciation of any answers.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Help to diagnose LH Front noise   Help to diagnose LH Front noise Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 9:37 pm

There are no other drive joints or bearings in the front of a 2WD. Sounds like it maybe might perhaps could be a flapping/vibrating shield or rubber mud flap caused by wind/airflow. Each side in the wheel well also has those rubber access flaps. One of mine occasionally clatters at certain speeds in certain winds.
The key point is whether it modulates directly with road speed or engine revs. What you said about neutral & pitch & speed indicates it doesn’t really, so its likely a resonance from something else like airflow.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Help to diagnose LH Front noise   Help to diagnose LH Front noise Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 10:58 pm

LH front - where the cabin air intake fan is?

There are no CV joints as far as I know, solid rear axle, UJs to the gearbox - diff..
Back to top Go down
Lovethatvan

Number of posts : 15
Home City : Wellington
Registration date : 2017-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Help to diagnose LH Front noise   Help to diagnose LH Front noise Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 12:01 am

Hi and thanks for your replies. Here is an update. After replacing a wheel bearing and an upper ball joint and then u joints both sides of the drive shaft, I noticed the passenger door wasn’t shutting properly, gave it a good slam, and hey presto, No Noise!!!! Omg...
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Help to diagnose LH Front noise   Help to diagnose LH Front noise Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 7:47 am

Been there done that got the tee shirt do not tell anyone !!!

Lovethatvan likes this post

Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Help to diagnose LH Front noise   Help to diagnose LH Front noise Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 8:26 pm

Problem solved!

At least the new bits are good for a few hundred thousand miles now!

Lovethatvan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help to diagnose LH Front noise   Help to diagnose LH Front noise Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help to diagnose LH Front noise
Page 1 of 1