Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Front Moonroof Wind Noise

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

Front Moonroof Wind Noise Empty
PostSubject: Front Moonroof Wind Noise   Front Moonroof Wind Noise Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2018 10:18 pm

Does anyone know if the front moonroof latch can be adjusted? I'm getting wind noise from it when driving over 45kph. I noticed that if I pull down on the handle the noise lessens/stops. It looks like the metal tab that retracts when you press the button is not resting against the latch but is about 1cm below it, allowing the glass to get sucked upwards at speed. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Beenz44

Number of posts : 12
Home City : Sydney
Registration date : 2018-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Front Moonroof Wind Noise   Front Moonroof Wind Noise Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2018 1:21 am

Mine makes the same noise. I’ll be investigating very soon, I’ll let you know how I go.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Front Moonroof Wind Noise   Front Moonroof Wind Noise Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2018 9:15 pm

I had the same issue after leaving it open for a while, it seems there is a slight design lesson in there.

The rubber strip at the front bends up when the roof is up, so when you put it down the old rubber o longer touches and seals the paint, leaving a 1-2mm gap most of the way across the front.

This slot then causes a huge noise when going along, The noise is reduced significantly by pulling the blind across however.

My current solution is to use some 2mm x 6mm foam tape and fitting it carefully (sticky side up) around the perimeter at the front. Then I peeled away the sticky paper making sure it stayed in place and it has been much better.
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

Number of posts : 265
Home City : Coventry
Model and year : 1992 SC 2.4TD
Registration date : 2016-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Front Moonroof Wind Noise   Front Moonroof Wind Noise Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2018 3:13 pm

I need to try that ^^^ GPW as mine is very noisy too
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Front Moonroof Wind Noise   Front Moonroof Wind Noise Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2018 5:26 pm

mickB wrote:
I need to try that ^^^ GPW as mine is very noisy too

It quietened down from a tornado to some gentle wind noise with the foam (silent now with the blind closed) so worth doing!
If you have a careful look you can see the gap.

Another fix maybe to remove the rubber entirely but that would need investigation without the front headlining in.
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Front Moonroof Wind Noise   Front Moonroof Wind Noise Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2018 5:07 pm

I did the foam tape fix and it definitely helped! I used a plastic spudger tool from a trim clip removal toolkit to lift up the rubber while tucking in the tape. Haven't been on the highway yet but can already tell the sound had been lessened significantly. Thanks for the tip GPW!

Front Moonroof Wind Noise 20181130

Front Moonroof Wind Noise 20181131

Front Moonroof Wind Noise 20181129
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front Moonroof Wind Noise   Front Moonroof Wind Noise Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front Moonroof Wind Noise
Page 1 of 1