Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sunroof/Moonroof Wind deflectors - do they work?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
vruedebu
vruedebu

Number of posts : 5
Home City : Tacoma, WA
Model and year : LH107W 1993
Registration date : 2020-05-05

Sunroof/Moonroof Wind deflectors - do they work? Empty
PostSubject: Sunroof/Moonroof Wind deflectors - do they work?   Sunroof/Moonroof Wind deflectors - do they work? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2020 4:44 pm

Hi All,
I've got a 93 Super Custom that makes so much noise on the freeway from the front sunroof. Another post here said to look at the gasket on the front edge but mine is in good condition and seems to be laying flat (it was noted there can be a gap which would contribute to the noise). I'm considering buying a deflector because the noise is so loud it really makes driving not enjoyable! Wondering if any of you have done this, thoughts? advice? recommendations?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Sunroof/Moonroof Wind deflectors - do they work?   Sunroof/Moonroof Wind deflectors - do they work? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2020 5:33 pm

If you end up buying a deflector and it solves the issue, please let us know from where you purchased it. I have the same issue, and installed a super thin strip of foam underneath the front lip of the gasket, and while that helped a bit, it's still pretty annoying. I either have to pop open the moon roof, or keep the shade closed when driving over 40mph. I did some shopping for a deflector at some point, but something about the width that is required or the curved surface of the roof prevented me from locating an ideal candidate.
Back to top Go down
vruedebu
vruedebu

PostSubject: Re: Sunroof/Moonroof Wind deflectors - do they work?   Sunroof/Moonroof Wind deflectors - do they work? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2020 7:06 pm

Will do! Also, I think my van looks just like yours ...still need to figure out how to post the image Smile
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Sunroof/Moonroof Wind deflectors - do they work?   Sunroof/Moonroof Wind deflectors - do they work? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2020 7:02 pm

Yes, I found my front sunroof very noisy. If I opened it, the front flap made good contact with the roof and it was far quieter - so try that.

If it's quieter with it open, it's the front seal, where it touches the roof. Personally I don't think it's a good design, because even if you pack it to seal the gap, prolonged use of it open will reshape the seal and it will form another gap!

Anything attached to the roof to direct the airflow over the gap/front seal will stop it - in my view. It doesn't need to be big, just to cover the gap. Maybe even a small strip of vinyl 'wrap' material - the 3M stuff is nice and sticky, cut a 4" clear section and literally stick it over the front seal, with most of the strip on the van.
Back to top Go down
vruedebu
vruedebu

PostSubject: Re: Sunroof/Moonroof Wind deflectors - do they work?   Sunroof/Moonroof Wind deflectors - do they work? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2020 12:17 am

Thanks for the response and recommendation! I actually put painters tape down over the seal and drove on the highway and sure enough it was quiet so I knew it was that front seal. But I wasn't sure what kind of tape to use for a more permanent solution and was weary paint damage if I have to remove it at some point, so I packed some butyl rubber under the seal instead. It's a product for RV roof sealing so I figured it would hold up, though your point about it eventually reshaping may turn out to be true.

But for now, just drove and it's significantly quieter, no whistling, and can't hear anything if the shade is closed even on the highway. Not sure if it's as good as the tape solution though so will test that again.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sunroof/Moonroof Wind deflectors - do they work?   Sunroof/Moonroof Wind deflectors - do they work? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sunroof/Moonroof Wind deflectors - do they work?
Page 1 of 1