Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Misfire in 3rd gear

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

Misfire in 3rd gear Empty
PostSubject: Misfire in 3rd gear   Misfire in 3rd gear Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2020 7:51 am

Hi everyone my 3ltr auto SC has developed a misfire, it occurs in 3rd gear without overdrive when accelerating from low speed and reaching 40/50 mph it will misfire, it has now become quite predictable and stops as soon as overdrive is engaged even if throttle pedal is not moved, so I suspect a gearbox sensor rather than a throttle position sensor ( I have a new TPS to fit if kneaded ) . Has anyone had this problem and found a solution.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Misfire in 3rd gear   Misfire in 3rd gear Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2020 2:56 pm

Are there any gearbox sensors?

I thought it was just a speed sensor and the rest was solenoid drives for the gearbox.

The gearbox has it's own ECU that talks to the engine ECU. I can't imagine it talks much, but maybe dips the power when the autobox ECU decides to change gear.

If so perhaps the gearbox ECU caps are failing and it keeps telling the engine to reduce power. I've not taken mine apart - but it does live under the selector. Careful, they seem to be as rare as engine ECUs.

There should be only 1-2 wires between them, I did post up some engine ECU diagrams (for the 1kz in a hilux or something) that matched. The idea would be to find the wires and monitor the voltage (with a 12V LED or something) and see if it behaves.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Misfire in 3rd gear   Misfire in 3rd gear Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2020 5:25 pm

Its not a problem at the moment so inclined to just keep an eye on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Misfire in 3rd gear   Misfire in 3rd gear Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Misfire in 3rd gear
Page 1 of 1