Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d )

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Hiace Hobo
Not so new now
Not so new now
Hiace Hobo

Number of posts : 24
Home City : St Austell
Model and year : Super Custom Hiace
2.8 auto 4x4 1993 2.8 3L Turbo engine
Camper Yokohama conversion
Registration date : 2012-01-13

How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d ) Empty
PostSubject: How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d )   How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d ) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 12:39 am

If your o/d gear stops working, here's the cheapest and simplest fix:

http://taigenetsudo.blog.com/2012/08/28/overdrive-solenoid-bypass-mod/

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dane
Not so new now
Not so new now
Dane

Number of posts : 23
Home City : Hibberdene, KZN, South Africa
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hi Ace Super Custom 3L Turbo Diesel full time 4x4
Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Overdrive "hunting" in and out of o/drive at speed ????!!!!!   How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d ) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 5:11 am

taigen wrote:
If your o/d gear stops working, here's the cheapest and simplest fix:

http://taigenetsudo.blog.com/2012/08/28/overdrive-solenoid-bypass-mod/

Very Happy

Hi
I have a slightly different problem: the gearbox "hunts" in and out of overdrive at speed: switches in and out of overdrive intermittendly at whatever speed above 82 km/h upwards: even at 140km/h. then sometimes works fine again for 10 or so kilometers, only to start hunting again, even at same pedal position on flat long roads. Oil ok, level clarity etc etc.
Suggestions before I take a dose of rat poison ??
1994 3L auto Turbo Diesel super Custom.
Tks
Dane
No
Back to top Go down
http://www.artonly.co.za
Hiace Hobo
Not so new now
Not so new now
Hiace Hobo

PostSubject: Re: How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d )   How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d ) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 8:17 am

Hi Dane,

Its possible it could be the o/d solenoid on its way out. Mine would intermittently go into overdrive before the solenoid failed, but I wouldn't describe it as the 'hunting' you are describing. Does the o/d off button still stop o/d from engaging at all?

How is your reverse gear? Any delay in reverse engaging? I'll be in a much better position to answer this question in a week or so as my van is currently in the shop for failed reverse(none at all), and overdrive that won't stay engaged (slips out under any acceleration).

I'll keep you posted when I hear anything that might help.

Taigen
Back to top Go down
Dane
Not so new now
Not so new now
Dane

PostSubject: Re: How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d )   How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d ) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 9:55 am

I looked at the "solenoid" on the gearbox: looks nothing like the pics you posted: small thingy with a circlippy thingy hoding it in place with only one screw that holds this circlippy thingy on the casing. Has plug with 2 wires. Reverse gear OK. The o/d button works fine. I unplugged the plug to the solenoid and without it plugged in, the car works fine but constantly in o/d with obviously reduced performance through all gears ( mine a 1994 and seems to have overdrive like revs reduction in every gear depending on load, when plugged in and working. I plugged it back and tested: worked fine then (possible bad connection, dirty plug contacts, not sure as I only tried it over about 2 kilometers as I was needed elsewhere.) It sometimes works for days then suddenly again keeps reverting out of o/d at speed, and after some seconds OK again. So, with the solenoid (which looks more like a press switch or such as it is much smaller than your pic and not secured as you describe with two bolts to secure for oil leaks) disconnected I have reduced O/D performance through all gears and gearchange normal and smooth, revs then overdrive revs as usual at speed: I.E. +- 2700 RPM at 120 km/h. Without O/D revs are +- 3300 at 120 km/h. The thingy I am referring to is located axactly as where your pic on gearbox shows but looks different. By the way I thought you had "grooved" a channel between the oil ports on your solenoid and that it was then permanent overdrive? How does it then slip out now!!

P.S.: Can you tell me if this van has a "Kick down Cable" ? : hear people talk about it but confused: cannot find any sign of such a cable and thought everything was controlled via ECU and speed, power, revs and or vacuum and such signals?? If it has: where do I find adjustment ferrule/screws??
Tks
Dane
Back to top Go down
Hiace Hobo
Not so new now
Not so new now
Hiace Hobo

PostSubject: Re: How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d )   How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d ) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 11:28 am

- That small thingy doesn't sound like the solenoid, but a sensor further back on the casing coming from the same wiring? I'm sure the gearbox design hasn't changed much from my 1993 model.

- The gearbox is basically 4 speed, 4th being o/d. o/d doesn't affect the other gears.

- Yours sounds like an electrical issue to me, maybe wiring somewhere on the o/d solenoid circuit, probably at the solenoid itself as its most exposed to the elements there.

- I dont have permanent overdrive. The groove allows the gearbox to shift from 3rd into o/d at the right speed. Mine then doesn't stay in o/d, but drops back to 3rd. Mines caused by seals or clutches failing.

- Mine has a kick down cable. Its connected by a mechanism to the throttle control. I have made adjustments to it - adding tension causes the box to 'kick down' into a lower gear when the revs increase, more tension = change down at less revs. Adjustment is obvious when you see the cable. It tends to affect all the gears roughly equally, so I don't think thats your problem.

- The symptoms on yours sounds to me like something electrical, and I don't think it will be expensive to get repaired.

- I really don't know any more than this, only having experience of my model of Hiace.
Back to top Go down
Dane
Not so new now
Not so new now
Dane

PostSubject: Re: How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d )   How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d ) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Thanks!
I think we have different gearboxes: mine has 4 gears and then switches to overdrive at around 82 km/h, like a fith gear.
The sensor i am talking about is mounted exactly where you show on the photo but looks much smaller and looks like a sensor of sorts or a press switch. There is no other thingy anywhere.
My gearbox has a sort of O/D function in each gear, that is: depending on power and pedal position or power applied it will for instance go to slightly more performance in a particular gear (and revs) by slight increase in pedal press or applied power, ( much like an in-between gear ) WITHOUT switching down a gear, unless the power is increased substantially, with more pedal pressure. This is also in conjuction with or without the ETC use. My overdrive is like a fith gear.
Anyhow, still cannot see a kickdown cable at the gearbox side...? Just for interest sake.
Hope you have success with yours at the workshop. Kind regards

P.S.: Don't know to describe briefly my gearbox workings: Each gear has a sort of extra position (like switching to an overdrive position for that particular gear, depending on power applied. Therefor, when I disconnect the sensor all gears work fine, changes smoothly, right up to 5th (O/D) no problem, except that there is much less performance (power) in each gear - is if it then runs only through the "in between" gear positions I was trying to describe. When I plug it in again at the sensor, normal performance and power is restored and I agin have the in-between gear (like an O/D position) on all gears.The only problem, intermittendly that I querid was the fact that it seems to fall out of O/D (5th) and then hunts in and out of top gear and O/D.
This is just sometimes though and I will check again tomorrow on the open road - was maybe just a bad plug connection at the sensor as it was covered on mud and exposed to water and such. I drive a lot of off road!!
Back to top Go down
Hiace Hobo
Not so new now
Not so new now
Hiace Hobo

PostSubject: Re: How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d )   How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d ) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 3:32 pm

Good luck with that too!

I'll post details about mine when I find out what was causing it - good to build up the bank of knowledge here on the forum eh.

All the best Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hiace Hobo
Not so new now
Not so new now
Hiace Hobo

PostSubject: Re: How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d )   How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d ) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 10:24 am

Ok, update on my gearbox..

I collected the van yesterday from Burnside Motors Coleraine N Ireland. Diagnosis was that all the clutches were badly worn. They did a great job, remanufactured the gearbox, all new clutch packs, seals etc - its now shifting perfectly!

Also they endorsed my o/d soleniod bypass. They sourced a replacement but it was very expensive for this van, so left the solenoid as I had done it.
(Mine is the early '93 model with part time 4WD, the old 2.8 non-turbo and transmission.)

Reconditioning the gearbox is not cheap, but I'm happy to have her back and good for a long time to come. I also had the engine serviced, all filters replaced and everything else checked over while they had her in.

Take care,

Taigen
Back to top Go down
Dane
Not so new now
Not so new now
Dane

PostSubject: Re: How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d )   How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d ) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 12:29 am

taigen wrote:
Good luck with that too!

I'll post details about mine when I find out what was causing it - good to build up the bank of knowledge here on the forum eh.

All the best Very Happy

O/D now fine and normal: Problem traced to: wire from Coolant Temp Sensor, wire off inside insulation 2 inches from sensor. Picked up with a multimeter when checking all criteria required for successful O/D operation and all senseors were found to be just fine ...

One of those problems that take forever to pinpoint.
It takes time and at my age there ain't much time left, LOL !!

Laughing Cool Bus Drummer

Sh#t I'm good !!

Back to top Go down
Hiace Hobo
Not so new now
Not so new now
Hiace Hobo

PostSubject: Re: How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d )   How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d ) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 10:53 am

Good news! Glad to hear its sorted man..

cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d )   How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d ) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to: Get your overdrive gear working again ( o/d )
Page 1 of 1