Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Will not start on 1st Gear

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Robert Amee

Number of posts : 8
Home City : Los Angeles California USA
Registration date : 2020-06-10

Will not start on 1st Gear Empty
PostSubject: Will not start on 1st Gear   Will not start on 1st Gear Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2020 12:41 am

Just bought a 1994 Super Custom Limited KZH106 with the 1KZ. When on Drive, it will start on 2nd gear. Transmission seems in good condition since 1st gear does work Manually on “L” Mode. I changed out the Transmission module and still the same. My mechanic now thinks it’s the main ECU brain that might be bad. Any advise would be appreciated. I am located in Los Angeles CA USA.
Will not start on 1st Gear 9ec0cb10
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Will not start on 1st Gear   Will not start on 1st Gear Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2020 6:12 am

Assuming that you mean by 'start' that the engine can be started it sounds to me that the inhibitor switch or its actuating mechanism is faulty; it absolutely should not start in any driving gear!

If instead you mean that the engine is running but it won't move forward then maybe the ECU has had capacitor leakage and is not sending the correct information to the transmission controller. Pull out the ECU and do a close visual inspection of the circuit board for any signs of corrosion. There are threads on here about repair of the ECU; the damage normally found is inexpensive to repair.
Back to top Go down
Robert Amee

PostSubject: Re: Will not start on 1st Gear   Will not start on 1st Gear Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2020 7:42 am

It’s explained well enough. When you take off and hit the gas, it starts on 2nd gear and not 1st. I’ll
Probably send out the ECu to get inspected and fixed
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Will not start on 1st Gear   Will not start on 1st Gear Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2020 12:15 am

It doesn't have a "2nd gear start" switch does it? My '91 LH119 does not, but two Prados I've owned did. The idea is to minimize wheel spin in slippery conditions such as ice. The Prado switches were a bit out of the normal line of sight.
Back to top Go down
Robert Amee

PostSubject: Re: Will not start on 1st Gear   Will not start on 1st Gear Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2020 1:08 am

No it does not have 2nd gear switch. Has a Module for the transmission and a Engine ECu. Both are good. Just checked. Is there a Gear range sensor? And where?
Back to top Go down
Robert Amee

PostSubject: Re: Will not start on 1st Gear   Will not start on 1st Gear Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2020 7:05 pm

So I got the engine ECu checked and the Transmission module checked. They are in good condition. What can the next problem be? I’ve heard of a “gear range sensor” somewhere but I don’t know where that might be at. As I don’t have a diagram of the transmission components. Any help please? Will appreciated. Will not start on 1st Gear 1401f410Will not start on 1st Gear 1401f410
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Will not start on 1st Gear   Will not start on 1st Gear Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2020 7:09 pm

Oh that looks nice, what make, size wheels and tyres?

The ECU electro caps do go, the legs fall off rather than any visible thing on top. If you do change them (recommended) I post some info - just do a search. The 1uF is bipolar BTW.

But I doubt it's the engine ECU. Have you checked the fluid? Is it nice red/pink?

My #1 suspect however is one of the solenoids in the box, you can access them by dropping the pan. The Mechanical stick overrides the solenoids IIRC, so it seems the hydraulics are working but I suspect a coil is gone in the box. If you can work out the wiring you can try and click them with 12V to see if they are working. I never managed to find the wiring for that however, the alternative is to replace them all using a kit of new ones.
Back to top Go down
Robert Amee

PostSubject: Re: Will not start on 1st Gear   Will not start on 1st Gear Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2020 11:21 pm

Where can I buy a new kit? Maybe a Link?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will not start on 1st Gear   Will not start on 1st Gear Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Will not start on 1st Gear
Page 1 of 1