Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Newbie here with a '94 LH119

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
studiodaybreak
studiodaybreak

Number of posts : 10
Home City : Fort Collins
Model and year : 1994 Super Custom LH119
Registration date : 2019-12-20

Newbie here with a '94 LH119 Empty
PostSubject: Newbie here with a '94 LH119   Newbie here with a '94 LH119 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2019 10:22 pm

Hi all,

I am exited to get started on work for my '94 Super Custom LH119 and am trying to figure out all the things I can do to this thing to make it last from the States to the bottom of South America. Thinking about shock and strut upgrades, more powerful tires, and even an engine conversion from the current 1KZ-TE to a 1UZ-FE (which I've read on other threads is possbile). Only problem is that I loose diesel for petrol, which isn't a very big deal, and probably worth the upgrade in power and speed.

I'm hoping this and a little lift and some mods to the wheel wells will get my up into a 235/75r15 AT tire that will perform on highway, in weather, and in light off-road applications. I'm not going for a full off-road vehicle.

Parts and JDM experienced mechanics are hard to find in the States since we have a lot of restrictions on these (sadly), so I've been relying on all you guys a lot for guidance. I'd love feedback on my ideas, as well as other ideas for good mods for this kind of journey! I mostly just wanted to introduce myself.

Thanks gang!

p.s. I'm trying to insert an image here, but am not sure if it will work...
Newbie here with a '94 LH119 99a24f10
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here with a '94 LH119   Newbie here with a '94 LH119 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 7:46 pm

Nice van and welcome.
The first advice I can give is that these LH didn't come with the 1KZ-TE. The diesel model is the 3L (2.8litre non-turbo).
Not sure what you mean by more powerful tires, that size is actually 8% larger circumference than stock so that makes it "longer" in each gear so you could figuratively call them less "powerful". If you do want to go wider, one of the factory 15" alloy wheel options from the Mitsubishi Montero from the mid 90's are a perfect bolt and 4WD hub match and their offset will sit the rim/tire about 2cm further out for wider tire clearance. (ET10 vs the ET30 of the Hiace).
The stock tire on that Mitsubishi rim is a 265/70-15 so if you find a set with used tyres it'd be a cheap way to check clearance & drivability (and the even worse 10% speedo inaccuracy of that size.)
It's the wheels in the first pic of this article: https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-a-mitsubishi-montero-is-the-best-buy-in-class-1831046049

Worth noting too that an overlooked problem with wider tyres & rims is potential interference with the sliding door! Those Mitsi rims with standard 215 tyres leave not much room at all.
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here with a '94 LH119   Newbie here with a '94 LH119 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 11:33 pm

Just a thought regarding swapping from diesel to petrol: My experience in other types of vehicles is that petrol consumption is around 30% higher than diesel. The LH119 has a surprisingly small fuel tank. While I have achieved 600km range (diesel) it has dropped as low as 450km in hilly terrain with strong winds. Reduce that figure by 30% for petrol and I hazard a guess that you could run into problems with distances between refuelling places in the more remote areas of Central and South America.
Back to top Go down
studiodaybreak
studiodaybreak

Number of posts : 10
Home City : Fort Collins
Model and year : 1994 Super Custom LH119
Registration date : 2019-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here with a '94 LH119   Newbie here with a '94 LH119 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2020 5:32 pm

Thanks, gents. Sorry for the delayed response. Pete_nz-- great input and I really appreciate you sending the spec on these tires. I still haven't been able to make this upgrade, but have found some nice options for rims online based on your advice. I was guessing on the KZ engine, based on specs found online. Do you know what model is stock in these?

MalL and Pete_nz, I've decided to swap up this 3l non-deisel with a KD turbo and transmission from 2001 and obviously keep it diesel. Sound advice and great things to think about. I'm also working on options for extra fuel storage for the rig. I'll post updates as they come (slowly). Thanks a lot fellas!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here with a '94 LH119   Newbie here with a '94 LH119 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie here with a '94 LH119
Page 1 of 1