Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Replace head or swap engine ??

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
timbo

Number of posts : 14
Home City : Bath
Model and year : 1995 3L TD Auto. Grand Cabin D Type.
Registration date : 2007-03-27

Replace head or swap engine ?? Empty
PostSubject: Replace head or swap engine ??   Replace head or swap engine ?? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2019 10:51 am

Hi I’m in the UK and would welcome any advice pointers, particularly from anyone who has done either of the options I am contemplating.
Well my 1995 campervan 1KZ-TE auto has overheated and the head is cracked - a sad tale... small leak in radiator coupled with blocked pipe to header/ overflow tank = didn’t register drop in coolant level = catastrophic overheating.
A local garage has quoted me thus:
Option 1. Supply and fit new head £2k
Option 2. Swap in reconditioned/2nd hand engine £1.5 k ( plus cost of engine - a quick search has suggested around £1 - 1.5k )
I will also need a replacement radiator (leaking).

Questions
Which option? Are these prices reasonable? How easy would it be to find a replacement engine ? As in would the ‘same’ engine from a different vehicle (hilux ? Regius etc?)
Background
We love our camper. I have done extensive welding on the wheel arches & cills but it’s pretty much all done now. Tailgate is rotting at the bottom but I was planning to cut stuff out and patch up.
Not too worried about how it looks.

or ...........Option 3 . Scrap it (sniff) and put the money towards something newer?

Any thoughts / advice / pointers greatly appreciated Timbo .

Back to top Go down
katana
katana

Number of posts : 11
Home City : Doncaster, UK
Model and year : '98 KCH40 Hiace Regius (owned for 12 Mths)
'88 LH61 Hiace (Owned for 18yrs now sold)
Registration date : 2018-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Replace head or swap engine ??   Replace head or swap engine ?? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2019 12:01 pm

A couple of ideas come to mind.
Cracked heads can be repaired by a good engine machining shop - would be worth speaking to your local one. We used to get the old 2.4 2L heads done (back when I worked at Toyota)

If you want to change it, would be worth looking at something like this https://www.roughtrax4x4.com/amc-premier-3-0-litre-1kzt-1kzte-cylinder-head-kit.html
Fully built up & ready to fit, wouldn't have thought you would be anywhere near to £2k quoted
Back to top Go down
timbo

Number of posts : 14
Home City : Bath
Model and year : 1995 3L TD Auto. Grand Cabin D Type.
Registration date : 2007-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Replace head or swap engine ??   Replace head or swap engine ?? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2019 12:34 pm

Hi Katana. Thanks for the reply - the roughtrax kit looks interesting (although annoyingly out of stock). The price I was quoted included fitting.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Replace head or swap engine ??   Replace head or swap engine ?? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2019 11:49 pm

£2k is a lot but it raises the value of your camper from probably under £1k to I suspect over £5k so financially it makes sense.

Is the garage saying another 1kz-te or would they swap in a more efficient D4D?

Sorry I'm not sure which is the best option if it's a repair or replace, would depend on a few factors. If the repair is a good one you'd benefit from new timing belt, water pump etc so it may be worth it, maybe have another chat with them.

BTW if the repair is not a genuine head I suspect a replacement engine may be best (assuming it has an original head on it).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replace head or swap engine ??   Replace head or swap engine ?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replace head or swap engine ??
Page 1 of 1