Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Auto Locker in front differential

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
talampe

Number of posts : 5
Home City : Giessen
Model and year : 1987 LH66 4WD
Registration date : 2018-01-03

Auto Locker in front differential  Empty
PostSubject: Auto Locker in front differential    Auto Locker in front differential  Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2018 11:37 pm

Hi there!

I'm from Germany and my Hiace is an LH66 4wd from 1987.
Now I'm planning to give it a little bit more offorad capability by installing an aussie locker in the front differential as I already have a LSD in the rear.

My question is:
Does anyone have some experience with auto lockers like the aussie locker, spartan etc. in their hiaces, especially in the front axle?
Is it an good and easy improvement or just a waste of (little) money which may damage the car?  scratch

Thanks for any help!
Jonas
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Auto Locker in front differential    Auto Locker in front differential  Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2018 7:43 am

I have also been thinking about it. Since most hiaces do not use front axle on the road, parttime 4x4, there shouldnt be a negative effect. There could only be a negative effect in snow maybe, but you get stuck much less.

However with a standard Hiace it is better to spend money on lifting it.
Back to top Go down
talampe

Number of posts : 5
Home City : Giessen
Model and year : 1987 LH66 4WD
Registration date : 2018-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Auto Locker in front differential    Auto Locker in front differential  Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2018 12:41 pm

Yes that's what I thougt as well.

Anyway, you're right the locker alone is quite useless, but I'm planning to give it a little lift (about 4-5cm) and bigger tyres.

So this combined with a locker would make more sense I guess.

I was just wondering how big the risk of breaking something in my front axle is as I heard that the 7,5'' IFS front setup can cause some problems with lockers - or if it's a reliable thing if done right (driving carefully in general and not on pavement in 4wd etc)
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Auto Locker in front differential    Auto Locker in front differential  Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2018 12:54 pm

The only thing that might break is the CV joint, but whenever you apply throttle they turn at the same rate usually. Shouldnt be much of an issue. Might be good in general to check if you can still get these cv joints for your model. I found them cheap on ebay.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Auto Locker in front differential    Auto Locker in front differential  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Auto Locker in front differential
Page 1 of 1