Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

KZH106 Front differential identification (lockers anyone?)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TacticalAnt
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 61
Home City : Carson NM
Model and year : 95 super custom, auto, full time 4x4, 1kzte
Registration date : 2021-03-29

KZH106 Front differential identification (lockers anyone?)  Empty
PostSubject: KZH106 Front differential identification (lockers anyone?)    KZH106 Front differential identification (lockers anyone?)  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2021 4:35 pm

Hi, i have. A 1994 super custom full time 4x4. I would love to add an e-locker to my front diff (As well as an LSD to the rear). The build plate only says: axle- g294 (8”). Am I to assume this is a reference to both front and rear? Someone else on here posted some heavy details on differentials that indicated the front should be a 7.5”, and if i recall that is consistent with 4 runners from the same era. But then why doesn’t the build plate reflect this? Are the internal ring and spider gears the same between 7.5 and 8” diffs?
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: KZH106 Front differential identification (lockers anyone?)    KZH106 Front differential identification (lockers anyone?)  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2021 9:28 pm

In the full time 4wd system, with way the center diff works, a locking or LSD at either end doesn’t really have any effect. The LSD was only available on selectable 4WDs with a very different transfer case.
Back to top Go down
TacticalAnt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: KZH106 Front differential identification (lockers anyone?)    KZH106 Front differential identification (lockers anyone?)  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2021 5:12 pm

Pete_nz wrote:
In the full time 4wd system, with way the center diff works, a locking or LSD at either end doesn’t really have any effect. The LSD was only available on selectable 4WDs with a very different transfer case.
Are you sure about this? I just cant see how the F/R diffs would know about anything the center diff was doing.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

PostSubject: Re: KZH106 Front differential identification (lockers anyone?)    KZH106 Front differential identification (lockers anyone?)  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2021 9:36 pm

It’s in the way the center diff works and sends its power to each end acting somewhat as a torsen diff. In general, if one of the output shafts (from the center diff) either front or rear spins faster than the other, proportionately more torque is sent to the one spinning slower.
I was maybe too general in my prev post comment tho’, the one situation where the van could poss have advantage with locker or lsd is when a single rear wheel of all 4 has grip.
There is a thread on the forum here that describes the function of the center diff of the full-time AWD system very well. Is has to be realised that it’s completely different from the transfer case of the selectable, part time 4WD systems.

Here’s that thread:
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t3848-centre-diff-and-to-rear-air-locker-or-not?highlight=centre+diff+operation

I presume this other thread that lists the available diff and locking options available from the various Toyota models is the one your were referring to about the 7" diff comment:
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t2911-toyota-hi-ace-axle-information?highlight=centre+diff+operation

I should clarify that while I am pretty certain that this is the case, I would love to hear reports of real world improvements made before and after fitting lockers or LSD. I have yet to get stuck anywhere in my van of 15 years. Well, apart from the frontal impact that's just written it off!
Back to top Go down
TacticalAnt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: KZH106 Front differential identification (lockers anyone?)    KZH106 Front differential identification (lockers anyone?)  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2021 12:08 am

Ouch, sorry for your loss😬. Im starting to get the picture based on what you said and some others.
So if What you are saying is accurate, if I put this on a lift, and put it in drive, i should only see one of four wheels moving at any given time. The diffs and slippage will determine which of the 4 it will be?
Someone on pirate 4x4 forum https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/94-toyota-hiace-t-case-swap.1899873/#post-28652961thought the center diff was a chain drive unit which would make it locked, and if thats the case, that there should be one wheel in front and one in back with power.
Im still hoping someone has found that either it does work, or there is a hilux, or 4runner transfer case that can be bolted in with minimal retrofitting. I really want to get some traction.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

PostSubject: Re: KZH106 Front differential identification (lockers anyone?)    KZH106 Front differential identification (lockers anyone?)  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2021 2:59 am

Not sure if I'd deduce that myself but give it a go. I do know I've had all 4 wheels spinning with road tyres on muddy grass.
Back to top Go down
TacticalAnt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: KZH106 Front differential identification (lockers anyone?)    KZH106 Front differential identification (lockers anyone?)  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2021 3:04 am

Interesting. Are these pretty commonly imported as new to NZ?
Back to top Go down
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: KZH106 Front differential identification (lockers anyone?)    KZH106 Front differential identification (lockers anyone?)  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2021 3:49 pm

I wrote a reply in the below thread about how the viscous center diff in the 1KZ models works, hope this helps!

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t3848-centre-diff-and-to-rear-air-locker-or-not
Back to top Go down
Chris_Alpine
Chris_Alpine

Number of posts : 6
Home City : New Zealand
Model and year : Y-KZH106W-MRPGT with A340F /G295 - Auto fulltime 4x4
Q-LH107W-MFPQS with A45DE /G142 - Auto, lock hubs 
U-LH119V-RRMDS with G52 /G142 - Manual, Hi/lo, lock hubs

Registration date : 2021-07-17

PostSubject: Re: KZH106 Front differential identification (lockers anyone?)    KZH106 Front differential identification (lockers anyone?)  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2021 12:32 pm

Interesting stuff guys. I' just working through these diff threads trying to figure out a clunk clunk in the rear. Not seeing much on that subjust but I'm enjoying getting slightly sidetracked. Smile
I've got a G295 in my 94 auto full time with ~190 thou k's. I'm suspecting the LSD is worn /wearing out. Could it just be a bit dry?
I haven't gotten myself really stuck except for having to jack it off it's front lower arm the other weekend when I bellied it Smile I would have thought the centre diff / LSD rear would have gotten me through but maybe it needs some work.
I'm running some 75 profile tyres with a mild lift but clearance still isn't great with that torsion bar set up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KZH106 Front differential identification (lockers anyone?)    KZH106 Front differential identification (lockers anyone?)  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

KZH106 Front differential identification (lockers anyone?)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Modified 'Aces :: Modified 'Aces-
Jump to: