Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ? Empty
PostSubject: Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ?   Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2017 6:34 pm

My Hiace has a G292 diff, so I was thinking perhaps of refilling it before I use the van much in the summer as I have no idea when it was last changed.

So apart from the obvious 'make sure you can undo the filler before you undo the drain' advice, what's the best oil to use, how much does it need and is it just squirted into the filler hole until it starts coming back out?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by GPW on Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:40 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Title)
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

Number of posts : 222
Home City : Hertfordshire, UK
Model and year : Super GL Camper (Vantech), 2.8D 4wd, 1995
Registration date : 2016-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ?   Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2017 8:15 am

Not sure if I have the same diff (being slightly older van), but used 80w90 GL-5 spec diff oil in mine.

I think it was around 1.5L, fill to just below the filler hole, but I can check that later.

New crush washers on both plugs.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ?   Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2017 8:47 am

I think you can just use 75w90 like all diffs (and non-automatic regular transmissions). This was listed in the manual that I have if I'm correct, I could check again.

I have 75w140 lsd oil, so that I can keep smashing the throttle when I'm stuck, getting the LSD to work and the high temperature is not an issue for the oil. But the high temp oil doesn't have much use with a standard diff.

I'm not sure on the automatic, I guess regular ATF would do?
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ?   Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2017 10:27 am

Thanks for the info.

So it looks like a 90 weight oil with 75/80 base and GL-5 rating.
I'll have to source the crush washers, would copper do as I have a nice set of those?
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ?   Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2017 10:35 am

I'm not sure if coppers one would work.. might leak earlier?
I ordered new from Toyota dealer, together with new bolts because they looked bad.
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

PostSubject: Re: Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ?   Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2017 11:13 am

Also no idea about copper, I sourced mine from http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/.

Like Hiace4wd I also replaced a couple of the plugs as one got a little damaged removing it and some were corroded and I wasn't sure how deep (6 to do on 4wd - 2 diffs and a transfer box).  Drain plugs are magnetic, fill plugs are not.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ?   Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2017 11:36 am

Looks like the copper ones I have are crush washers after all.
There's gasket crush washers too that had me confused.

I use these soft copper ones for sump plugs etc. so I'm sure they're fine, just need to source the oil and get it done!

I had a look underneath on the ramp of the Hiace, it's a very nice suspension system. Dual anti roll bars, trailing arms with coils on the back and a tie-rod for lateral stability, very clean underneath and looks very strong with the chassis rails going everywhere.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ?   Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2017 3:29 pm

Ok, so after some internet investigating I'm tending toward this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/75W90-5L-Fully-Synthetic-EP-75-90-Gear-Oil-Hypoid-Oil-5-Litres-GL-4-GL-5-MT-1-/121617362859?hash=item1c50f5afab:g:06EAAOSwLnlWnf~r

The 90 seems a necessity, despite Toyota changing to an 85 at one point to save MPG. MPG on these vans is important but I feel the cold performance of the fully synth 75w bit will be a boost and the 90 appears to be required from my research.
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

PostSubject: Re: Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ?   Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 7:53 am

Rear diff capacity was 2.2L (front was 1.6L).
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ?   Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 5:59 pm

Thanks for the capacity heads up, got the 5L in the link as it's good for 2 changes.

Got the filler and drain out now, both 24mm, spanner for the filler (tie-bar in the way) and socket only for the drain.

The threads look to me M18, the crush washers were a bit thin, luckily I had a super 'all sizes jumbo copper crush washer box' that I bought from doing another car and they fit perfectly.
Crush washers can be re-used with annealing but not if they are super thin. the other option is a Dowty washer but I made the mistake of not buying any of those.

Some sludge on the magnet but not bad, going to let it drain overnight as it's quite chilly here.

Filling would be a huge challenge but for the fact that some years ago I invested in a 12" stainless syringe with a long 1/2" nozzle - so actually filling gear boxes is quite fun with that.

They are cheap but essential IMO - like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Oil-Suction-Vacuum-Transfer-Hand-Syringe-Gun-Pump-Extractor-Gearbox-Fill-/400883614822

Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

PostSubject: Re: Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ?   Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 7:38 am

Similar issue with the front diff on 4wd models as all the steering components are in the way of the filler. One of those syringes does the job.

Thankfully the rear and transfer box fillers are clear of obstructions on my van and can be filled from the bottle, much easier!
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ?   Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 12:18 pm

Another job done, it took well over 2L to fill but all was good. Onto the next LOL.

As a note for the next intrepid chap who changes their rear diff level: you'll need to remove the spare tyre to get to the filler, mine was off anyway which was handy but access with it in would be very difficult indeed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ?   Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil grade for the G292 Toyota axle (differential) ?
Page 1 of 1