Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rust?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kxruss

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Ryde
Registration date : 2018-04-30

Rust? Empty
PostSubject: Rust?   Rust? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2018 9:26 pm

I think I'm set on getting a hiace. Where do these things rust and what are common faults?
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

Rust? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust?   Rust? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2018 11:05 pm

Depends on the engine and model mine is 1kzte 3ltr turbo auto super custom camper 1996 semi high roof , very nice to drive plenty of power fast on motorway and hills not so good on cornering with its high center of gravity and narrow track a bit heavy on fuel 30mpg at best cured this now running on WVO with a dash of petrol works out at 25p a ltr in total. Only problem realy was a phase of not starting feared it was the dreaded ECU capacitors turned out to be a duff battery causing a massive voltage drop when cold starting. As for RUST it is an import from Japan for 22 years old excellent condition but they do rust in the joints under the cills below the sliding door thats the first place to look, 100,000 miles and drives fantastic , at the moment I have a annoying knock on front end suspect drop links maybe, I am told change oil in engine and gearbox regularly and 300,000 miles is easily achieved so it will outlast me
Back to top Go down
Kxruss

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Ryde
Registration date : 2018-04-30

Rust? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust?   Rust? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2018 9:03 am

I would love a 3l import but at £1500-£2000 I suspect I'll only be looking at vans . What year did they go from mechanical fuel pump to electric/ comonrail? It won't be my only car so I'm not fussed how slow or uneconomical it is, I just want maximum reliability and ease of repair.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

Rust? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust?   Rust? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2018 6:33 pm

Welcome!

What is £1500-2000?

The imports usually arrive without a) rust and b) rustproofing.

So if you'll be using it in the winter: get it rust proofed. Same for all JDM (Japan Domestic Market) vehicles.

Look to Wikipedia for D4D engines in Hiaces, it probably varies by region.

Last edited by GPW on Wed May 02, 2018 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

Rust? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust?   Rust? Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2018 7:52 am

D4D engines came only in the later type, with the engine in the nose (instead of sitting on the engine)

So the Super Customs with the 3 liter turbo (1KZ) engine probably drive the nicest. However, they are more complicated then for example my van. I have the 2.4 liter diesel, without turbo or fancy ECU. With a manual.
So I have by far the slowest Hiace, but also the simplest. I even don't have central locking haha, less that can go wrong.
But the imports are usually 3 liter turbo or 2.4 liter turbo. I think I would prefer the 2.4 liter turbo.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

Rust? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust?   Rust? Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2018 9:37 am

I did note someone in the US managed to find a 2 litre petrol manual one, given the issues with diesel access to cities etc it might not be such a bad thing, quite a light small engine too.

Time to search the JDM sites?
https://carfromjapan.com/cheap-used-toyota-for-sale-year1980-2005?keywords=Hiace
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

Rust? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust?   Rust? Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2018 10:49 am

Yes there are several versions with petrol. A 2 liter one, which is probably as slow as mine. But there is also a 2.4 liter one on petrol, with 120hp it should do nicely. These are not sporty revving engines, but they have the same kind of torque like a diesel. Just less noise and more fuel I think.
You can sometimes find them in Europe, but they will have steering wheel on the wrong side for you.

Later types with the engine in the front also came with that 2.4i or even the 2.7i with 143hp. These are pretty strong engines, that were also put in 4Runners.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rust? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust?   Rust? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rust?
Page 1 of 1