Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Good Bodyshop for Rust Repair or possible Respray. Cost?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Russclaat
Russclaat

Number of posts : 15
Home City : Bradford On Avon
Model and year : Toyota Hiace Super Custom 1999 Campervan
Registration date : 2016-11-10

Good Bodyshop for Rust Repair or possible Respray. Cost? Empty
PostSubject: Good Bodyshop for Rust Repair or possible Respray. Cost?   Good Bodyshop for Rust Repair or possible Respray. Cost? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2018 11:43 am

Hi,

I love my Hiace Super Custom campervan. The only problem I have is keeping on top of rust, which seems to be be appearing ever more often. I'm not very skilled at repairs, so I've been toying with idea of treating him to a complete rust overhaul, which will mean a respray.

Have any other members had this done? What sort of cost am I looking at and are there any recommended companies/bodyshops? Most rust is superficial, but will need a new tailgate. The underside is waxoyled and fine.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Russell
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Good Bodyshop for Rust Repair or possible Respray. Cost?   Good Bodyshop for Rust Repair or possible Respray. Cost? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi Russell,

I had a full re-spray about 3 years ago which cost £2500. I had my alloy wheels powder coated at the same time for £250. I picked up a second hand tailgate just before my respray for £100 as my old one was a complete mess at the bottom of the door.

The best bet with rust is to get it cut out fully and a new bit welded in or it just keeps comes back. If you love your Hi ace as much as I love mine it'll be worth it as it'll be a long term keeper.

Rich
Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
Russclaat
Russclaat

PostSubject: Re: Good Bodyshop for Rust Repair or possible Respray. Cost?   Good Bodyshop for Rust Repair or possible Respray. Cost? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2018 2:51 pm

toldsimply wrote:
Hi Russell,

I had a full re-spray about 3 years ago which cost £2500. I had my alloy wheels powder coated at the same time for £250.  I picked up a second hand tailgate just before my respray for £100 as my old one was a complete mess at the bottom of the door.

The best bet with rust is to get it cut out fully and a new bit welded in or it just keeps comes back.  If you love your Hi ace as much as I love mine it'll be worth it as it'll be a long term keeper.    

Rich

Thanks for the info toldsimply. That seems like a very reasonable price. Where did you get it done? Is the paint job still sound after 3 years? Did you have much rust before the respray, and was dealing with that part of the price?

I'm definitely hoping to keep my Hiace long term, so I'm looking for as permanent a rust solution as possible. That price seems like very good value if it extends the life of the van for a good few years.
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

PostSubject: Re: Good Bodyshop for Rust Repair or possible Respray. Cost?   Good Bodyshop for Rust Repair or possible Respray. Cost? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2018 8:29 am

Hi Russell,

I got the paint job done by a company called Auto medics in High Wycombe http://automedics.org.uk/
It's stood up pretty well but there are some new bits of rust starting to come through after 3 years which is a bit of a shame. They had to do a few bits of welding prior to the paint job, bottom of the drivers door, just behind the sliding door, but it was pretty good value. Still shines nicely after a wash.
Back to top Go down
Russclaat
Russclaat

PostSubject: Re: Good Bodyshop for Rust Repair or possible Respray. Cost?   Good Bodyshop for Rust Repair or possible Respray. Cost? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2018 9:11 am

toldsimply wrote:
Hi Russell,

I got the paint job done by a company called Auto medics in High Wycombe http://automedics.org.uk/
It's stood up pretty well but there are some new bits of rust starting to come through after 3 years which is a bit of a shame.  They had to do a few bits of welding prior to the paint job, bottom of the drivers door, just behind the sliding door, but it was pretty good value.  Still shines nicely after a wash.

Many thanks for the valuable info.
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

PostSubject: Re: Good Bodyshop for Rust Repair or possible Respray. Cost?   Good Bodyshop for Rust Repair or possible Respray. Cost? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2018 1:03 pm

My pleasure. Choosing alternative colours for my van took ages, but I'm happy that I stuck with a two tone colour scheme but with a different colour on the bottom.

The only b*gger is since the re-spray I swear I've had more doors opened into the van and little scratches than I ever had before the respray.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good Bodyshop for Rust Repair or possible Respray. Cost?   Good Bodyshop for Rust Repair or possible Respray. Cost? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good Bodyshop for Rust Repair or possible Respray. Cost?
Page 1 of 1