Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Water pump issue?

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

Number of posts : 222
Home City : Hertfordshire, UK
Model and year : Super GL Camper (Vantech), 2.8D 4wd, 1995
Registration date : 2016-08-04

Water pump issue? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water pump issue?   Water pump issue? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2016 8:27 am

For leaking pump - Fuel pump seal kit, £18.  

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/bosch-diesel-fuel-pump-overhaul-seal-kit.html

For the speedo issue, problem could be one of many things, may be a corroded connection, I recall you have other rusty components in your dash?

http://japan-parts.eu/toyota/jp/1994/hiace-regiusace/lh119v-rrpes/4_711140_106_/powertrain-chassis/3505_speedometer-driven-gear-atm/1#33403G

http://www.allcarpartsfast.co.uk/toyota/toyota-3340329485-gear-sub-assy/

http://japan-parts.eu/toyota/jp/1994/hiace-regiusace/lh119v-rrpes/4_711140_106_/electrical/8301_meter#83110

http://www.allcarpartsfast.co.uk/toyota/toyota-8311026310-speedometer/

For your gearbox, you may need to change the oil multiple times, I forget what the full capacity is, but only 2.5 litres is removed when drained from the sump.  I think someone recommended this previously.

Is the perfect van for NZ camping Smile
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Water pump issue?   Water pump issue? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2016 10:27 am

Well, I think you need to know if your gearbox works properly before you decide to do anything.
It may need another flush, you could do that, but yeah, where is the end after that?

Anyway, if your engine is running fine it indicates that your fuel pump is also working fine, and just leaking. Then a fuel pump seal kit will indeed to the job, and shouldn't cost to much hopefully.

Other than that, you have a cool van. It is huge in terms of normal vans like Hiace and Transporter. And a bathroom inside is something you usually get with the much bigger vans.
I'm not sure what the issue is with your top roof bed, maybe it needs some fixing, but yeah the space in the roof is always smaller.
However, it is still 120 centimeter wide. This is actually the same bed width as most standard camper vans have. They have a bed on the left and the remaining space on the right is used for kitchens and cabinets etc.
So only the height is different.

What is the interior like? If it is just painted wood you could sand it and paint it again. Or replace wooden panels by making new ones the same size.
If it is this laminated stuff, maybe the easiest is to laminate it again with some new plastic laminate stuff of the color of your choice?
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

PostSubject: Re: Water pump issue?   Water pump issue? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2016 10:41 am

of course, there are much worse things that '80s interiors...

'70s interiors Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Water pump issue?   Water pump issue? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2016 1:11 pm

TwentyOneThirtyFive wrote:
For leaking pump - Fuel pump seal kit, £18.  

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/bosch-diesel-fuel-pump-overhaul-seal-kit.html

For the speedo issue, problem could be one of many things, may be a corroded connection, I recall you have other rusty components in your dash?

http://japan-parts.eu/toyota/jp/1994/hiace-regiusace/lh119v-rrpes/4_711140_106_/powertrain-chassis/3505_speedometer-driven-gear-atm/1#33403G

http://www.allcarpartsfast.co.uk/toyota/toyota-3340329485-gear-sub-assy/

http://japan-parts.eu/toyota/jp/1994/hiace-regiusace/lh119v-rrpes/4_711140_106_/electrical/8301_meter#83110

http://www.allcarpartsfast.co.uk/toyota/toyota-8311026310-speedometer/

For your gearbox, you may need to change the oil multiple times, I forget what the full capacity is, but only 2.5 litres is removed when drained from the sump.  I think someone recommended this previously.

Is the perfect van for NZ camping Smile

Amazing information!  That gives me hope yet!  I really should have investigated the broken speedo in a bit more depth.  I started reading about it, it seemed like a nightmare to diagnose, so I just left it!  These details don't make it seem so hard now!

As for yours and Hiace4wd's comments regarding my gearbox.  I am quietly confident, since the oil change it does seem to drive more smoothly and sound a little bit less 'mechanical' if that makes sense. I haven't seen the AT temp light come on yet although it's getting a lot cooler here now, and it usually takes a couple of hours of motorway driving. so I haven't really tested it that much yet.  I have no way to raise the front which is why I took it to the garage.  I did ask them to flush the torque converter, and clean the magnets and replace the filters, but all they were capable of was the oil change, which if I could raise the front up I could easily do myself.  I suppose the plus side is that doing those things, particularly flushing the torque converter, can bring existing problems to the front.  Right now all I care about is getting to my destination, so I guess if the problems stay concealed for a bit longer I won't compain!

That's good news about the pump hiace4wd!  Let's hope it lasts the journey and then I can look into replacing the seals!  It is very big and could potentially be Amazing.  If I end up keeping and refurbishing it, I'd like to put a rock and roll style bed where the current bed is, and have it extend across the width so I'd have a nice bit of space for a double bed.  That would probably require a move of the heater though, so might be a difficult job.  Either that, or fix the roof sleeping area.

As for the interior, I've just taken a little video tour of the van, I'll upload it to youtube and then post a link!

Last edited by Ryank on Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Water pump issue?   Water pump issue? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2016 2:16 pm

Video Tour!!!

Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

PostSubject: Re: Water pump issue?   Water pump issue? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2016 5:43 pm

Nice layout, interesting colour choices!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Water pump issue?   Water pump issue? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2016 6:38 pm

I know!!!  It's very old lady!  

I had a brain wave, and managed to rig up a double bed!  Across the width of the current bed I laid down the two roof slats, then placed those on the top half of the bed.  To give the overhang support, I used a very cheap and small adjustable office chair that props nicely under the two slats and supports them both and I was going to take the chair with me anyway!  It's only kind of a a single down towards my legs, but it still 'feels' like a double! best thing is that it's super easy to move out of the way so I can still walk up and down the corridor/aisle!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Water pump issue?   Water pump issue? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2016 2:12 am

Water pump issue? - Page 2 7LTWXda

I'll hopefully be able to get a good night's sleep in it now too! Chair not pictured because at the time I was using bits of wood as supports, but then I remembered that I'd have to take the chair with me anyway, and it gives a much more solid area of support that's exactly the height I need it, due to the chair being adjustable.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Water pump issue?   Water pump issue? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 10:42 am

Awesome video, I hadn't realised you'd posted this up!

That's a great van, way beyond a regular SC, it's a good length, much more interior volume and height and a very neat way of having a separate kitchen and bathroom - it must be a lot longer than my van!

When the gearbox is sorted that will be a real asset, great stuff!!

I'd also have though a decent campervan place or possibly a marina boat-hood trimmer would be able to fix the hinge and replace the bellows for the roof, i.e. if one day you have the money to throw at it I think it would only add to the use and value.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Water pump issue?   Water pump issue? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Water pump issue?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2