Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lower ball joint removal method.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SlowAce
SlowAce

Number of posts : 14
Home City : Christchurch NZ
Model and year : 1993 SC 3.0L TD. 4wd
Registration date : 2012-05-11

Lower ball joint removal method. Empty
PostSubject: Lower ball joint removal method.   Lower ball joint removal method. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 8:27 am

My ace has failed its warrant because of worn lower ball joints, I have purchased 2 new joint.
Had a go this afternoon at removing an old one...No joy!
I have the front on axle stands so the wheels are about 1" off the ground, removed wheels. I then removed the 4x bolts and also the main nut with the split pin.
Do I have to release the torsion bars and raise the whole brake disc&suspension arms to make room for the taper bolt on the joint to have enough room to be removed once smacked free from lower arm taper? thanks
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_1993_TOYOTA_HIACE_KZH106G-JRMNT_4802.html
part number: 43330-29305

leo
Back to top Go down
SlowAce
SlowAce

Number of posts : 14
Home City : Christchurch NZ
Model and year : 1993 SC 3.0L TD. 4wd
Registration date : 2012-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Lower ball joint removal method.   Lower ball joint removal method. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 9:12 am

all done thanks...release the lower shock and remove the torsion bar mount on the wishbone, drop the lower down and remove the nut from taper bolt on the ball joint. Use a small puller and a gas torch for a bit of heat and pop goes the weezle! New ball joints fitted in 4 hours with no idea when started.
jocolor
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Lower ball joint removal method.   Lower ball joint removal method. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 12:01 pm

Not done a Hiace, but did do a Townace, removed the complete hub in the end. Shocking out with 2 2lb hammers did not work, local garage used a 2 ton press and as you say pop goes the weasle.
Less than an hour to remove hub, half a day to remove old joint, 2 hours later and all back and running.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lower ball joint removal method.   Lower ball joint removal method. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lower ball joint removal method.
Page 1 of 1