Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Transmission oil change

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
topherwillis
topherwillis

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Kyoto, Japan
Model and year : 1998 KZH138 Hi-Ace Full Time 4WD 3.0 Diesel
Registration date : 2011-11-30

Transmission oil change Empty
PostSubject: Transmission oil change   Transmission oil change Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 4:29 pm

I have always heard that you should change your transmission oil about every 50,000 Km. Recently I had to take my van into a dealership here in Japan for it's shaken, or road inspection. I asked the mechanic if I needed to change the transmission oil and he said if I did it would damage the transmission more than leaving the old oil in there. He claimed that the debris in the old oil were what were keeping the gears from slipping and causing more damage. This seems to be a very prevalent view here in Japan after talking to various people. They expect the KZ series to run 200,000 km with this method. Do you think I should follow this seemingly crazy method or insist that they change the transmission oil?
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Transmission oil change   Transmission oil change Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 10:35 pm

I'm not qualified to say yea or nay but not changing lubricants is contrary to everything I've ever heard. My impression is that most Japanese drivers don't clock up large numbers of kilometres, and change vehicles while relatively new. If that is correct they may never have to consider the best longevity of components.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Transmission oil change   Transmission oil change Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 7:42 am

If it's red leave it as said.

No debris in the system that is what the filter is for.

If it is not red or smells burnt on the dip stick change it.

Lynn likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Transmission oil change   Transmission oil change Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 5:30 am

I believe that the factory service interval for oil changes in Automatics is 40,000Km.
That's when it should be changed and sooner (every 20,000Km) for severe service (Lots of 4wheel driving)

If you don't change the oil and the vehicle is still under warranty, kiss that warranty goodbye if something fails.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transmission oil change   Transmission oil change Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Transmission oil change
Page 1 of 1