Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Oil change interval

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
frontslide
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 23
Home City : Derbyshire
Registration date : 2012-07-27

Oil change interval Empty
PostSubject: Oil change interval   Oil change interval Icon_minitimeSat Nov 04, 2017 12:00 pm

What is the recommended mileage intervals for oil and filter on a 2.8 3L engine please?
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Oil change interval   Oil change interval Icon_minitimeSat Nov 04, 2017 8:18 pm

The service intervals were written next to the engine on my 1KZ van, in japanese but you can translate in real time with the Google Translater on an Android phone.
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

Number of posts : 222
Home City : Hertfordshire, UK
Model and year : Super GL Camper (Vantech), 2.8D 4wd, 1995
Registration date : 2016-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Oil change interval   Oil change interval Icon_minitimeSun Nov 05, 2017 5:24 pm

5k kms (3.25k miles ish) oil, filter every 10k kms (although I do them at the same time)

6.5L of oil when filter is changed.
Back to top Go down
frontslide
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 23
Home City : Derbyshire
Registration date : 2012-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Oil change interval   Oil change interval Icon_minitimeSun Nov 05, 2017 6:02 pm

Thank you Cool
Back to top Go down
vanmobile
Not so new now
Not so new now
vanmobile

Number of posts : 57
Home City : North America
Model and year : 1992 3L
Registration date : 2016-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Oil change interval   Oil change interval Icon_minitimeFri Dec 08, 2017 12:50 am

Yeah twwntyonethirtyfive is right. I was told 7 litres from a guy who sells them but it was too full. Closer to 6.5 litres is what i was putting. Every 5k km I change both even if it says to change filter at 10k.
Back to top Go down
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Oil change interval   Oil change interval Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2020 1:31 am

Wanted to revive this thread and see what everyone's thoughts are on the interval for synthetic oil in these vans. A quick google search states 8-11k km for synthetic. Not sure if that's geared more towards modern engines. I want to take good care of my baby, but also don't want to prematurely toss out my oil before the end of its service life.

Since it's my first interval on synthetic after running conventional (no idea what it ran in Japan prior to import, I'm guessing conventional based on the condition I received the van in Wink ), I'm wondering if it would be prudent to change oil/filter at 5k km due to the synthetic possibly doing some extra cleaning activities on this interval.

edit: After some Googling, I'm leaning towards doing the change at 5k km, sending a sample of the used oil to Blackstone Labs and have them do their standard analysis + TBN test. Might be over-the-top, but it'll be good to get a baseline and make sure there aren't any issues that I need to be concerned about.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Oil change interval   Oil change interval Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2020 10:11 am

Personally as the oil capacity is huge and Synthetic oil can go for 20k with only a filter change I would leave it in for 10k minimum.

The only think I'd check is the amount of dirt in the oil, while the oil itself will be fine you may need to get rid of the dirt, possibly emptying it after 5, filtering through a coffee filter in a funnel and tipping it back in with a new (pre filled) filter might be wise if it's the first Synthetic.

Regular PAO synthetic engine oil isn't quite like Dexron ATF however - it cleans but it's not as brutal. BTW don't forget the autobox, it should be a nice pink colour oil or it needs changing. If darker it will need a changing regime!
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

PostSubject: Re: Oil change interval   Oil change interval Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2020 8:10 pm

Have you done this coffee filter procedure before? Searching online it sounds like it is a slow and/or laborious process.

I sent off for a test kit from Blackstone, so I could just test the oil before I change it to see where it's at. I'm not driving much these days, and I still have several hundred kms before I hit the 5k km interval, so can afford to wait.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Oil change interval   Oil change interval Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2020 9:14 pm

djathens wrote:
Have you done this coffee filter procedure before? Searching online it sounds like it is a slow and/or laborious process.

I sent off for a test kit from Blackstone, so I could just test the oil before I change it to see where it's at. I'm not driving much these days, and I still have several hundred kms before I hit the 5k km interval, so can afford to wait.

Mine had a service in Japan just before loading onto the boat so I've not needed to change the engine oil yet!
My autobox oil was dirty though so I'm on about partial change #4 there and all is well.

Also don't forget to change the steering fluid and rear diff oil and then the coolant if you get really keen, I've ended up changing all fluids on mine (including the brake fluid as my front discs needed changing) except the engine oil!
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

PostSubject: Re: Oil change interval   Oil change interval Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2020 1:02 am

Appreciate all the input GPW! I imported my van back in late 2018, and upon receipt I had all the coolant hoses replaced, then flushed the coolant again several thousand kms later. I've also drained the AT pan several times, plus dropping the pan once to replace the AT filter and associated gaskets, so it's nice and pink now. I've also used a pump to empty the power steering reservoir and topped it up three times, so it's in pretty good shape. After import both the F/R diffs and the xfer case got fresh gear oil. I got a conventional oil change immediately upon exiting the port prior to driving the 250 kms back home. So this upcoming oil change will be the third one I've done (91k, 96k, and now 101k).

Only fluid I haven't touched is the brake fluid which was deemed in good condition when inspected. Though we're coming up on two years of ownership, so might be worth a revisit Smile
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Oil change interval   Oil change interval Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2020 11:47 am

Ah yes, I drained the PS fluid down to the gauze with a vacuum pump but would love to change it all.
I didn't feel access to the main pipe was particularly friendly so I need to do a few more partials there too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil change interval   Oil change interval Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil change interval
Page 1 of 1