Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Coolant leak? 1993 2.8 Hi Ace. Engine pressure fine????

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

Coolant leak? 1993 2.8 Hi Ace. Engine pressure fine???? Empty
PostSubject: Coolant leak? 1993 2.8 Hi Ace. Engine pressure fine????   Coolant leak? 1993 2.8 Hi Ace. Engine pressure fine???? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 8:05 pm

Hi All,

I've had my Hi Ace since May and the other day started it up and then all the dash lights came back on and the buzzer went off. Checked coolant level and I'd lost about 1and a bit litres. Topped it up and all okay again. Checked it a few days later and I'd lost a little bit again.

The garage pressure tested the engine and had it running for 2 hours today with no sign of a loss in engine pressure. They also had a piece of cardboard underneath and no drops of coolant

If there's no loss in engine pressure, how have I lost coolant?

Any ideas anyone?

Engine running fine no loss of power or anything weird, no mayonnaise in the oil filler cap etc etc.

Rich
Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

Number of posts : 160
Home City : Flinders Park, South Australia
Model and year : 06/94 Toyota Hiace Super Custom 3.0L TD AWD
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak? 1993 2.8 Hi Ace. Engine pressure fine????   Coolant leak? 1993 2.8 Hi Ace. Engine pressure fine???? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 11:07 pm

Have you checked the condition of the radiator drain plug? I had a leak last year, turned out to be the o-ring on the radiator drain plug was worn out. Also the plugs themselves become brittle.

Also had a minor leak from where the top radiator hose joins onto the engine. I sanded back the pipe where the hose fits onto (to remove some minor "bumps"), refitted the hose and for good measure, sealed the join by winding some silicon tape around it.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak? 1993 2.8 Hi Ace. Engine pressure fine????   Coolant leak? 1993 2.8 Hi Ace. Engine pressure fine???? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 7:36 am

1 and half litres is a major leak. If it is not dripping from the engine then it is going into the sump or out the exhaust.

Does it start first twist of the key?

Not wanting to be the bearer of doom but I would suspect a cracked head. Pressure test could be inconclusive as once hot the crack can seal up, only to open up when cooled allowing coolant to seep into the cylinder and be shot out on starting.
Back to top Go down
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

Number of posts : 160
Home City : Flinders Park, South Australia
Model and year : 06/94 Toyota Hiace Super Custom 3.0L TD AWD
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak? 1993 2.8 Hi Ace. Engine pressure fine????   Coolant leak? 1993 2.8 Hi Ace. Engine pressure fine???? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 12:50 pm

A "Rise Test" is meant to be a fairly accurate indicator of a cracked head.

I had one done on my van and thankfully it came back ok.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak? 1993 2.8 Hi Ace. Engine pressure fine????   Coolant leak? 1993 2.8 Hi Ace. Engine pressure fine???? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 3:05 pm

I agree but we are still looking for answers.

I assume that the garage checked all hoses including the heater, operated the heater and checked that, tested the pressure cap etc etc.

The coolant has to be going somewhere!
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak? 1993 2.8 Hi Ace. Engine pressure fine????   Coolant leak? 1993 2.8 Hi Ace. Engine pressure fine???? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 5:51 pm

Thanks guys. Lots of ideas/ things to follow up. I'll have a good look this weekend, weather permitting. It always starts first twist of the key and the heating works a treat.

Truth is I hadn't checked the water since buying it, other than when the lights went off the other week so it coooooould be a really slow leak (trying to ignore the cracked head thought), or a new leak, or a newly cracked head gulp Surprised(

I know the garage had a good look for anything obvious (so they told me) and then did the pressure test. Coolant leaks can leave a bit of a snail trail though don't they.

Is there an easy way of checking the pressure cap itself? Or should I just get a new one and hope it's as simple as that (please God!)?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak? 1993 2.8 Hi Ace. Engine pressure fine????   Coolant leak? 1993 2.8 Hi Ace. Engine pressure fine???? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 7:35 am

Garage should have checked it, a new one would do no harm.

A small leak can be lost if it evaporates away. Tighten all hoses and check the core plugs, one hdes in the bell housing if the bottom of the housing is showing damp it is a gearbox out job to fix it.
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak? 1993 2.8 Hi Ace. Engine pressure fine????   Coolant leak? 1993 2.8 Hi Ace. Engine pressure fine???? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 1:48 pm

Cheers for the advice Clive.

Had a good look under the bonnet today and there was a lot of coolant residue on top of the expansion tank (which I didn't even realise the van had - must have been looking with my eyes closed prior to this), and all down the sides of it. I've given it a good old clean up and will keep an eye on it. Will replace the clip of the hose going into the expansion tank too as it had some residue on it, just in case. Will get a new seal for the cap on the expansion tank too as looked to be like there could have been a leak from there at some point.

I'll stick my head underneath with a torch looking for core plugs later this week (had those go in an old golf a while back) as it's sound sense to check these things.

Thanks for your help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak? 1993 2.8 Hi Ace. Engine pressure fine????   Coolant leak? 1993 2.8 Hi Ace. Engine pressure fine???? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coolant leak? 1993 2.8 Hi Ace. Engine pressure fine????
Page 1 of 1