Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1KZTE OVERHEATING... STRAIGHT TO THE POINT!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Elusive
Elusive

Number of posts : 15
Home City : Tauranga, New Zealand
Model and year : 1994 Supercustom, Lowered on 18" Lenso Mags, 5% Rear Tints 35% Front tints.
Registration date : 2011-02-27

1KZTE OVERHEATING... STRAIGHT TO THE POINT! Empty
PostSubject: 1KZTE OVERHEATING... STRAIGHT TO THE POINT!   1KZTE OVERHEATING... STRAIGHT TO THE POINT! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 3:14 pm

So we have a massive forum going on here spanning NZ to GB! I want to start a topic on the ol' common problem of the overheating 1KZ in the supercustom.
Now I am aware others have posts regarding this topic, but this is for all info to be shared and hopefully we can fix a small percentage from overheating.

To start with, share your vechile description:
- Year, Model, Chassis code etc

Then your ideas on why they get hot:
- Motor position/design
- Radiator position/design
- Cooling system in general
- Exhaust design

This doesn't have to stop at this list...

Comment on your experience:
- Prior to over heating
- During the drive while the 1KZ overheated
- While it was heating up (What did you do to try stop it)
- After it heated up

Comment on every little detail, ambient temperature, motor temp, gauge was at....?, Lost XXX amount of water, Cracked a head?

If it was a cracked head, how did you replace it:
- Mechanic, yourself?
- Pictures?
- Which cylinder cracked and where?
- Where the pre-ingition cambers cracked also?
- What else did you find wrong/broken in the process?

What did you replace:
- Head, Thermostat, Radiator/s, Water pump, Cambelt???
- Diesel injectors?

What have you done since replacing the above items to try stop it from doing it?
- Engine watchdog (If so what type)
- Aftermarket Temp gauge
- Auto trans external cooler
- Changed exhaust
- Changed intake

So I understand this is dragging on a bit but I hope we get some guys commenting here and then we can try help these ticking time bombs. Some say "if it is going to blow, it is going to blow" but I think there must be some way to help the motor out???

Back to top Go down
urantia

Number of posts : 18
Home City : Perth
Model and year : 1997 Super Custom living saloon
4wd, 1kz
Registration date : 2011-05-20

PostSubject: Re: 1KZTE OVERHEATING... STRAIGHT TO THE POINT!   1KZTE OVERHEATING... STRAIGHT TO THE POINT! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 1:08 am

After owning my super custom for a year, and fitting an engine watchdog i can report on the following.

They heat up mainly when climbing hills. Long steep hills especially. If i didn't have the engine watchdog, i can easily see the temperature running away until the head is cracked.

I suspect its a combination of the auto trasnsmission sharing the radiator for cooling plus the turbo working hard when climbing hills. I dont think the radiator and cooling setup can scrubb the heat out quick enough.

What i have discovered that backs my theory up, is if you crank your heaters up the full blast it seems to cope much much better in these situations.

So perhaps we just need to fit larger radiators and perhaps more powerful cooling fans?

One thing is for sure tho, get an engine watchdog or simular to monitor those engine temps!
Back to top Go down
Elusive
Elusive

Number of posts : 15
Home City : Tauranga, New Zealand
Model and year : 1994 Supercustom, Lowered on 18" Lenso Mags, 5% Rear Tints 35% Front tints.
Registration date : 2011-02-27

PostSubject: Re: 1KZTE OVERHEATING... STRAIGHT TO THE POINT!   1KZTE OVERHEATING... STRAIGHT TO THE POINT! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 12:57 pm

Cheers for your input mate. I totally agree with the "Engine Watchdog" or aftermarket water temp gauge. I think it is a valuable upgrade...

Regarding the larger radiators - looked into this, it is a lot harder done than said... there is next to no room under there (unless your model is not a KZH100?). Also about the cooling fans, the viscous fan is the best fan you will get (if it is working - should be tested). You can't fit big electric fans in-front of the vertical radiator as the AC pipes are in the way, I am looking into maybe squeezing a 10-12" fan on the front of the vertical radiator on the left side as these should clear the pipes which are over towards the right a bit.

Another thing I am wanting someone to comment on is putting the auto cooling line through a transmission cooler in the front bumper. Details on where the lines were run, the cooler was mounted, which line from the box is feed to the cooler and return, if they still put it through the factory radiator core and what size lines/cooler they used.... And the most important part, any change after it was moved?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1KZTE OVERHEATING... STRAIGHT TO THE POINT!   1KZTE OVERHEATING... STRAIGHT TO THE POINT! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1KZTE OVERHEATING... STRAIGHT TO THE POINT!
Page 1 of 1