Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

can i turbo my 2rz engine ??

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
93ace

Number of posts : 1
Home City : kyabram
Registration date : 2011-12-06

can i turbo my 2rz engine ?? Empty
PostSubject: can i turbo my 2rz engine ??   can i turbo my 2rz engine ?? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 8:43 pm

i have a 93 hiace is it posble to turbo it or not??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: can i turbo my 2rz engine ??   can i turbo my 2rz engine ?? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 9:56 am

It's not legal to fit aftermarket turbo's to a petrol car in Australia without a whole heap of stuffing 'round to get engineers certificates etc.

The aftermarket turbocharging of a diesel on the other hand is no problem.....go figure!

Back to top Go down
Aussie Pete

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Sydney- Australia
Model and year : 1995 Super Custom - 2.8 Diesel - Part-time 4WD Professionally converted to Campervan by Discoverer, with pop-top roof. In 2007, I modified the engine to add a turbo which has been a great success.
Registration date : 2011-08-16

PostSubject: Re: can i turbo my 2rz engine ??   can i turbo my 2rz engine ?? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 9:16 am

I fitted a Turbo to my 2.8 diesel some years ago and it has made a huge improvement to the van.  It had been converted to a Camper and carries a lot of extra weight (eg 120L of water, 80L fridge, pop up roof, awning, extra battery, cabinets etc) and without the turbo it was dead and painful to drive. Now I can keep up with the general traffic and at highway speeds it has a lot more go.  Re MaXiLeeCH's comments: Most diesel vans already have a vacuum pump that works the power brakes. On a petrol vehicle the vacuum comes from the inlet manifold, but once you add a turbo there is no longer any vacuum and the car suddenly takes a strong leg and 3 times as far to stop (and is illegal).

Briefly, I used a kit for a 2.8 Hilux, had to reconfigure the turbo so that all the connections could be made, including making some special connectors.  Had to fit a new exhaust manifold, but the turbo would not quite fit under the seat. I had the manifold outlet reground at a 10 degree angle, so that the turbo was tilted over by 10 deg and it then fitted (also made some tapered washers so that the holding bolts were property tightened). Added a heat shield between turbo and seat, tapped into the water pipes on the other side of the engine, extended the oil return line to miss the exhaust and that was very briefly the work required. A custom exhaust workshop made a stainless steel adaptor to join the turbo to the exhaust. I still needed an Engineer's Certificate, but it passed that without any problems.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: can i turbo my 2rz engine ??   can i turbo my 2rz engine ?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

can i turbo my 2rz engine ??
Page 1 of 1