Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Engine temps. How hot is too hot?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ricardo
Not so new now
Not so new now
ricardo

Number of posts : 48
Home City : Napier, NewZealand
Model and year : 1996 3L Super Custom, Club Field. Lowered, tinted, trans cooler.
Registration date : 2011-03-31

Engine temps. How hot is too hot? Empty
PostSubject: Engine temps. How hot is too hot?   Engine temps. How hot is too hot? Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 4:59 am

Hi. I have the 3L1KZ-TE diesel in my auto trans equiped, 96 Custom with a 76 degree c thermastat and have done a good number of mods to keep engine temps down. Cooling system has been throughly checked and I have an after market temp gauge in degrees C. On the flat at 100kph it sits at about 85, up long hills gets up to 100d, long hills with a 1100kg boat gets it up to 110d. Any info on what yours does would be a great reference. Tests were done in about 20d ambient temp. Rich.

Last edited by ricardo on Mon May 23, 2011 11:58 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Engine temps. How hot is too hot?   Engine temps. How hot is too hot? Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 9:07 am

Yeah it's not as hot as mine... mine sits around 90-95 degrees around town everyday driving and going up a long hill it tops 110 Shocked I stop before it goes any higher 105 now. This is measured with an engine watch dog themocoupled to the head of the engine. The standard gauge goes up past half way once temperature reaches 95 degrees.

I have had this issue for nearly 2 years now and it's slowly got worse over that time. I replaced my thermostat with a 71 degree one in hope it would open earlier and wider to allow more cooling but it hasn't. Sad
I have flushed the system so many time now and bleed the air out every time and it still overheats.
My viscous fan cuts in at about 83 degrees and seems to be roaring loud enough. The only thing left for me is to replace my radiators and water pump and see how it goes. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ricardo
Not so new now
Not so new now
ricardo

Number of posts : 48
Home City : Napier, NewZealand
Model and year : 1996 3L Super Custom, Club Field. Lowered, tinted, trans cooler.
Registration date : 2011-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Engine temps. How hot is too hot?   Engine temps. How hot is too hot? Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 1:22 am

I strongly suspect you have a radiator blockage issue. Blockage is almost always the cause of overheating and no amount of flushing will help. They have to be removed , at least one tank taken off (idealy both which allows visual inspection) and 'rodded' to remove build up. The top radiator has to come out through the top and the bottom one is tricky as you have to support the A/C radiator while you un-do the support frame for both. You might think the flow looks good when running the hose through the system at the moment but this gives no real indication. Start by taking the top one out and have this checked. You will then know if it's worth doing the bottom raditor if you find scale build-up. Let me know if you need more info on this. Cheers. Rich.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine temps. How hot is too hot?   Engine temps. How hot is too hot? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engine temps. How hot is too hot?
Page 1 of 1