Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cylinder head on 2LTE replaced but...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
simongd
Been here a while
Been here a while
simongd

Number of posts : 176
Home City : Liverpool
Model and year : Looking for my next
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Cylinder head on 2LTE replaced but... Empty
PostSubject: Cylinder head on 2LTE replaced but...   Cylinder head on 2LTE replaced but... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 10:11 am

Can anyone help please.

I have replaced the head and gasket with a remanufactured head, Toyota gasket and new bolt set. Also fitted a new water pump.

Now its all back together again.

However I think the coolent system is under to much pressure. When its warm the top hose feels too firm to me. I can squeeze it a little bit (just a few mm) but it does bulge along the length of the hose. The other hoses also feel too firm.

I checked the block and new head for flatness and they were fine. Though I didn't spray the block with the blue dye for finding cracks; should have really so there could be a problem with that, though its unlikely.

I torqued the head bolts as instructed in the manual (2.4 EFi 2LTE).

I am lot loosing coolent as far as I can tell, but I think it is a matter of time before it goes pop.

Please help, I really want to get the bus back on the road. I did drive it about 2 short journeys of about 3 miles last night with no problem but I don;'t want to damage the recored radiator or anything else on the engine.
Back to top Go down
simongd
Been here a while
Been here a while
simongd

PostSubject: Re: Cylinder head on 2LTE replaced but...   Cylinder head on 2LTE replaced but... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 10:30 am

Hi again,

In addition to the above, the engine takes a couple of goes to start and it isn't a smooth start. I give the heater plugs a couple of cycles to warm up the chamber. (It used to start first time before it all when wrong in the summer). Idles ok when cold, but rev it up and it sputters badly (like a missfire). When warm there is an occasional cough. Then the tone of the engine changes and it is smooth after that. By this time the hose is firm.

I have changed the two upper o-rings of the fuel pump as it was leaking. Now that has fixed that.
The injectors appear to be ok.
I'll change the fuel filter as I was using a mixture containing sunflower oil on the way and back from Hungary in the summer. Is there another inline fuel filter on these SC?

Yesterday the car was stood for around 2.5 hours between the journeys and when I came home the motor started first time without sputtering. Perhaps it could be something to do with the cold start or automatic choke?

I am going to book the car into the garage to have a compression test and coolant pressure test for a start and hopefully find out something.

Thanks for reading and sorry to be so long winded...
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Cylinder head on 2LTE replaced but...   Cylinder head on 2LTE replaced but... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 2:12 pm

Leave all heater valves open.......When stone cold (am) remove the cap...squeeze the hoses to see if here is air in there (particularly the far raised end of the top hose)...it might just be a delayed bleed.
Try not too worry too much....

Put a new thermostat in it if not already done (pretty easy).
Back to top Go down
simongd
Been here a while
Been here a while
simongd

PostSubject: Re: Cylinder head on 2LTE replaced but...   Cylinder head on 2LTE replaced but... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 9:49 am

Thanks Chris

Will do. Changed thermostat already.

Will take it to garage to pressurise the water jacket, see if it holds its pressure.

Also will ask them to check the new rad cap is opening at 88kPa (13psi)

I try no to worry, but I don't want to damage the new engine
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Cylinder head on 2LTE replaced but...   Cylinder head on 2LTE replaced but... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 10:15 am

Some fit the townace cap...(same psi).
On cool down this sucks the water back requiring hardly any vacuum as there is no spring in the sucky bit. Advantage of this is its unlikely to suck air in on cool down from any dodgy hoses/connections....a very small difference really.
I've been paranoid about the head around 7 yrs now....the thing works fine though...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cylinder head on 2LTE replaced but...   Cylinder head on 2LTE replaced but... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cylinder head on 2LTE replaced but...
Page 1 of 1