Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mixing tems shocks with standard?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
moogdrew
Not so new now
Not so new now
moogdrew

Number of posts : 62
Home City : Melksham
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Super Custom Limited 2.8D (LH107)
Registration date : 2007-02-17

Mixing tems shocks with standard? Empty
PostSubject: Mixing tems shocks with standard?   Mixing tems shocks with standard? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 7:00 pm

I've just picked up a van full of spares from a guy who stripped a super custom before he sold his - in it were a pair of nearly new non tems rear shocks.

Does any one know whether you can fit standard rear shocks and leave the tems front ones working without damaging the tems system or getting warnings from the dash (my fronts are new so i don't really want to go changing them for standard).

He also came up wit an interesting little gem about the tems shocks - they rely on the speedo to know what speed you are chucking it round a corner at, so if like me you have changed your clock to MPH the tems system thinks you're driving like an old granny and never comes off of soft (unless you brake) - they are supposed to go hard if you attempt cornering over 40 MPH - so i might take the convector off and put up with KPH for a bit to see what happens
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Mixing tems shocks with standard?   Mixing tems shocks with standard? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 10:19 pm

No not a problem fiting them.

Yes it is speed and turning sensors that activate the TEMS, but I think the TEMS take off is before the speedo converter.

As an aside sometimes the speedo converter confuses the auto box into changing at the wrong times.

Let us know how your tests pan out.
Back to top Go down
moogdrew
Not so new now
Not so new now
moogdrew

Number of posts : 62
Home City : Melksham
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Super Custom Limited 2.8D (LH107)
Registration date : 2007-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Mixing tems shocks with standard?   Mixing tems shocks with standard? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 6:59 pm

Cheers for that - that'll save me spending 1/4 of my holiday funds on shock absorbers!

Will let you know on the speedo thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mixing tems shocks with standard?   Mixing tems shocks with standard? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mixing tems shocks with standard?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Mechanical Matters :: GREASE MONKEY !!! (sorry couldnt resist its a BF2142 thing)-
Jump to: