Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is this possible and would it work ?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NickZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
NickZ

Number of posts : 155
Home City : UK
Model and year : 1993 Cruising Cabin, 4wd 3L engine.
Registration date : 2023-01-13

Is this possible and would it work ? Empty
PostSubject: Is this possible and would it work ?   Is this possible and would it work ? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2023 5:12 pm

I'm planning on taking my van up to some high altitudes but it's a straight diesel with no turbo so will probably struggle a bit because it won't get enough air and the fuel won't burn properly.

Could I rig up an oxygen tank with a one way valve straight into an pipe after the air filter and before the inlet manifold then leave it trickling in pure oxygen to make the fuel burn better ? Would it be dangerous and make the fuel burning too intense ?

I know this seems like giving it life support but if it makes the engine happier it has to be a good thing.

Or are there any suggestions on how to make this sort of driving easier and has anybody got any experience of altitude driving with a normal diesel hiace ?
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Is this possible and would it work ?   Is this possible and would it work ? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2023 10:27 pm

What altitude are you looking at? My 2.8l non-turbo has happily taken my up to around 1800m several times with no problems. There's probably a small drop in performance but nothing significant. Ben Nevis is 1345m so unless you will be crossing the channel I wouldn't worry about it.
Back to top Go down
NickZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
NickZ

Home City : UK
Model and year : 1993 Cruising Cabin, 4wd 3L engine.
Registration date : 2023-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Is this possible and would it work ?   Is this possible and would it work ? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2023 4:11 pm

It's a bit more than that I'm looking at 12,000ft ( 3700m ). My van's heading across the Atlantic soon ( off the coast of Portugal at the moment ) and I want to go to the salt flats in Bolivia and cross the Andes with it.

I figured that with a lot of people climbing mountains around there oxygen would be widely available so maybe my van should have some too. I've been thinking about it and rather than tapping it into the air filter system I could maybe stick the hose down the vent at the side and trickle/ mix it in that way.

I know they spray the underneath of your vehicle with oil and diesel before you go on the salt flats so you don't get covered in salt and they've probably got some sort of fuel additives or funky diesel out there but I just wondered if I could boost the air density with a tank.
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Is this possible and would it work ?   Is this possible and would it work ? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2023 8:44 pm

OK! Quite and adventure.

Gonewild likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is this possible and would it work ?   Is this possible and would it work ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is this possible and would it work ?
Page 1 of 1