Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lowering the Idle RPM

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
wimibes

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Sumas, Washington
Model and year : 1995 Toyota Hiace Super Custom Limited
Registration date : 2023-07-02

Lowering the Idle RPM Empty
PostSubject: Lowering the Idle RPM   Lowering the Idle RPM Icon_minitimeSun Jul 02, 2023 7:09 am

Hello,

My Super Custom Hiace is idling between 1,000 and 1,200 RPM, which is going to cause damage to the transmission if I don't get it fixed. There is a little button on the dash, to the right of the steering wheel, that allows one to increase the idle RPM (and if you keep pressing it, the RPM goes back down), but that's the only easy adjustment I can find inside the cab. This probably means I have to open 'er up and check the engine itself.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone has any ideas what may be causing it to idle so high and/or what I need to do to lower it.

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 196
Home City : Bonney Lake, WA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited 4WD
1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E
Registration date : 2021-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Lowering the Idle RPM   Lowering the Idle RPM Icon_minitimeSun Jul 02, 2023 9:45 pm

There could be a myriad of reasons why it’s idling high, but in a 30 year old vehicle I’d just adjust the idle screw and be done with it. Especially if it’s only 200 rpm we’re talking about.

It’s on the throttle body and stops the blade when the cable is all the way out. Back it off a bit and you should be fine.

Good luck and God bless!
-Bryan

wimibes likes this post

Back to top Go down
wimibes

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Sumas, Washington
Model and year : 1995 Toyota Hiace Super Custom Limited
Registration date : 2023-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Lowering the Idle RPM   Lowering the Idle RPM Icon_minitimeTue Jul 04, 2023 8:27 pm

@blgravely - thank you, that worked!

For those interested, I'm posting a picture of the idle screw in relation to the engine and throttle:

Lowering the Idle RPM 20230610

Mine had some form of thread lock on it, and based on how much the engine vibrates, I'm definitely going to have to put some back on as soon as I get a chance.

The nut was 8mm. I couldn't read the size of the allen key I used, but I think it was 3mm or so. I tightened the nut down as hard as I dared!

blgravely likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lowering the Idle RPM   Lowering the Idle RPM Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lowering the Idle RPM
Page 1 of 1